It was apparently originally modelled in... blender
The main problem with the scene was there were thousands of repeating objects, and not a single "component". There's unfortunately no easy way to fix the dinos, and after some attempts, I've decided to live with them as hi-poly monsters. They are not that bad, actually, considering... and I did begin to componentize them, but gave up.
I believe it took me longer to "fix" the model than it did for him to build from scratch.
-not including the dinos.
This is usually the case, fixing someone's model is never as fast as building it properly the first time. (I'm not implying it wasn't built properly, I'm sure it was very well done in Blender, but 3D model conversion is like medicine - part art part science.)
In case you were dubious, or just curious... here's how SU is holding up...
The model was converted in many large chunks using Deep Explorer from obj file to SU file. Then each chunk was worked on, and then inserted into the master composite model when ready.
Finally the dinos were added with the display cases. The main reason for converting to SU was to fix the major normals problem. The model, viewed in SU monochrome mode, looked like a blue and white quilt. Thom Thom's cleanup ruby script was used heavily throughout the process and was indispensable!