Recommended Computer

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Crallred

Recommended Computer

Post by Crallred » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:44 pm

I've used Twilight Render for architectural work for many years. As my expertise has developed and the quality of my renderings heightened, so have my render times. Many time, rendering for 48 hours to obtain a 10% completion.

Now I am investigating and being asked for animated renders.

I'm using an Intel Core i7 CPU at 3.04GHx
with 8GM of RAM
on a 64-bit System
With full threads selected - 8

I ran a preliminary animation rendering of the model only without any lighting or background and it ran for a week and I got 4-seconds of animation out of a 13 second duration.

Can someone assist me as I'm willing to make a computer purchase or alter my existing machine, but can't find what the best setup would be to speed things up.

Please help!

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Recommended Computer

Post by Fletch » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi Crallred,

It appears you are not optimizing your scenes. You should be getting much faster render times if you intend to do any animation. You need to aim to under something like 7 minutes (more like 30s) per frame for an animation. This means that you will necessarily sacrifice some quality in order to acheive your animation goal, unless you have endless deadlines.

Never render animations with light emitting surfaces. Use only shiny metals, never blurry. Never use translucent materials. Eliminate any reflective surfaces you can live without. Minimize number of lights. If using light emitting materials, make sure they are set to "fake" so that they are not being calculated in the rendering. Render on "Easy Low" render setting if at all possible. Easy Medium if you must. You may even need to learn to develop your own custom render setting for your scene.

For a machine, you will need a pretty incredible machine like a 24 thread render beast.
You can see other computers and compare their render speed to yours here using Twilight Render:
Subject: V2 How Fast Are You - Official Twilight Scene - Bauhaus Lamp

Crallred

Post by Crallred » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Fletch

Thanks for the information, can you talk to me about optimizing my scenes or direct me where to find this information?

Thanks

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:29 pm

I'm assuming you have followed the video tutorial on Animations, and are for sure using "reuse lighting calculation" feature when you render your animation? without this, render times will be astoundingly long.

Subject: Suggestions on Render Speed for specific model.
Subject: Easy 1-7 Photon Mapping and Final Gather (Biased)
Subject: how to render an animation faster?
Subject: Render times & are they normal?