newbie, lighting help

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
djcyph

newbie, lighting help

Post by djcyph » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:22 pm

Hi everyone,

New to sketchup and twlight. I'm using the free version of twilight and not sure what I'm doing wrong. In the picture below, my room has no back wall and I get what you see which I'm assuming is from the environment lighting outside. Now if I close off the room and add lights with twighlight on the ceiling my render is completely black. I followed the lighting tutorial and do the 3 clicks and have tried different lights and power. I'm still really new do I have to do something with the cameras?

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
messing with rendering1.jpg
messing with rendering1.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 6002 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: newbie, lighting help

Post by Fletch » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:32 am

It appears that you have no floor in the back of the room? Or your floors, walls, ceiling have no thickness or are not closed completely allowing in light somehow. Build the room with thickness to all exterior faces.

If your camera is inside of a wall it can show in SketchUp as normal, but render as black, or if the camera is outside of the room with no sky or sun and you close the room off, then it would render black.

You can see an example of the camera in the wall render black in the Lighting tutorial part 5 of the 6 essentials to Twilight video series.

If you have watched any of the Twilight Render official videos regarding lighting, you will know that starting with a simple scene and working your way up is the best way to learn about lighting.

Try creating a simple 3mx3mx3m (10 feet) cube, place your camera inside the cube and turn off sun and set sky in the environment settings to "background color" and place a single spot light in the space, practice changing the settings of the single light. Then move on to more complex scenes after you feel you have mastered the single light.

Please follow this tutorial carefully and I'm confident you will be able to light this scene very well.

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:02 pm

Fletch wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:32 am It appears that you have no floor in the back of the room? Or your floors, walls, ceiling have no thickness or are not closed completely allowing in light somehow. Build the room with thickness to all exterior faces.

If your camera is inside of a wall it can show in SketchUp as normal, but render as black, or if the camera is outside of the room with no sky or sun and you close the room off, then it would render black.

You can see an example of the camera in the wall render black in the Lighting tutorial part 5 of the 6 essentials to Twilight video series.

If you have watched any of the Twilight Render official videos regarding lighting, you will know that starting with a simple scene and working your way up is the best way to learn about lighting.

Try creating a simple 3mx3mx3m (10 feet) cube, place your camera inside the cube and turn off sun and set sky in the environment settings to "background color" and place a single spot light in the space, practice changing the settings of the single light. Then move on to more complex scenes after you feel you have mastered the single light.

Please follow this tutorial carefully and I'm confident you will be able to light this scene very well.

Thank you! The video is really helping. Pic 1 shows me finally getting some lighting! Now another weird thing I'm encountering. If you see the two white square truss boxes in the picture. When I apply a material to them I get the darkness you see in pic 2. I know the camera isn't in the wall since I'm in the same position. It's the same material as the other truss pieces. Is there something with the component I have to change? Thanks!
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (276.93 KiB) Viewed 5981 times
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (307.04 KiB) Viewed 5981 times

djcyph

Post by djcyph » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:43 pm

I figured it out! So the squares were the same "default" material as the walls so when I applied aluminum to them, from what I can tell, it adds it to the wall as well. The squares came from same 3d set so weird that they were different materials.
Leaving my post in case anyone experiences the same!

Next on my journey is figuring out how to get the light beams to show!

This has been a fun journey so far!

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:45 pm

djcyph wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:43 pm Next on my journey is figuring out how to get the light beams to show!
:hat:
Question About Volumetric Light Beam
Subject: Visible light