How to improve these renders?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
SuziIde

How to improve these renders?

Post by SuziIde » Mon May 10, 2021 11:01 am

Hi, I'm fairly new to Twilight and I've been teaching myself via tutorials and finished my living room.
Its the lighting I just cant get right... I've used sky portals in my living room doors and a few lights in the room. Any tips on how to make the lighting not so dingy? Also how do I improve the view out of the windows to the garden seating?
Thanks
Attachments
interior view 1.05.jpg
interior view 1.05.jpg (154.68 KiB) Viewed 6551 times
sketchup course1_photo from door.jpg
sketchup course1_photo from door.jpg (179.98 KiB) Viewed 6551 times

SuziIde

Re: How to improve these renders?

Post by SuziIde » Mon May 10, 2021 11:04 am

The top one is an exploration render FYI

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon May 10, 2021 12:09 pm

So I don't know how you have the portals set up, I assume the portal is over the glass window where the sun is coming in directly through it? I assume you set it up similar to as described in the bathroom video tutorial?

It is the tone mapping that makes the images lighter or darker. Set the lights in the space to reasonable brightness (based on wattage and lumens/watt, or just by lumens) and then adjust the brightness of the scene with Filmic Tone Mapping. Do not increase the power of the sun or the lights (I do not).

IMPORTANT: ACES vs Filmic : When do I use Filmic versus ACES when Tonemapping?

Finally, render the final image with Easy 09 render settings - it's the best for architectural interiors such as yours shown here.
What if I just want to use "Simple" tonemapping? Can I get the same look as Filmic?
The answer is - you can get something roughly approximating Filmic, again depending on the scene. If your "Simple" rendering is dark, don't be afraid to experiment with what may appear to be "extreme" settings.

Tonemapping: SIMPLE (extreme exposure)

SuziIde

Post by SuziIde » Tue May 11, 2021 9:52 am

Yes, I used the bathroom tutorial. That's great thanks, i didn't try those settings and I was adjusting the sun and brightness constantly. Does anything else really stand out to you in these renders that you feel needs improvement on? I really want to aim for top notch visuals eventually but need some pointers on where to improve. Thanks again

SuziIde

Post by SuziIde » Tue May 11, 2021 1:18 pm

Also, how long would your machine take to render these? Mine takes 6hrs plus! I've obviously not done something right in the drawing?. I have a i7 8700 with a UHD graphics 630 but it was bought for me so I'm not sure if I need to upgrade the graphics card perhaps?

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue May 11, 2021 5:11 pm

Make sure you follow the pre-flight checklist carefully - pay close attention to what it says regarding material colors.

With FastForward denoise it cuts render times in half. It works only with Twilight Pro.

I render all final images on Easy 09. I am using an i7 9th gen with 12 threads. I rarely render over 1920x1080 resolution for my work, as I find that if someone needs larger, Photoshop 2021 scaling allows me to double the resolution with little loss in quality. That said, I do occasionally render larger, like 2800px wide if needed.

Render times are completely dependent on scene, so it is literally impossible to tell you render times. But I can say FastForward Denoise cuts times in half or even 1/3 in some cases.

Graphics card is used in the post-processing and display of the image. So, a better card is, well, better. But not required. A fast CPU is the most important thing. Check out "How fast are you".

The 6 Essentials Getting Started video tutorials are very good - link in my signature.