Help Me Learn with This Unusual Project

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
mich81

Help Me Learn with This Unusual Project

Post by mich81 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:57 am

I tinker with Sketchup from time to time. I consider myself an intermediate user. I just do this as a hobby/time filler. I decided I would try Twilight to learn some basic rendering.

I'm working on a project that has to do with a hobby of mine. I want to render it to get a better idea of how it would work before I actually build it. I've come up with a much simplified version of the actual project and modeled it in Sketchup 2018. If I can figure out how to get this render to turn out good, then I should be able to apply that to the more complicated version.

It is supposed to be a Box covered in black velvet. The front is glass and the back is open. Inside is a glass that is supposed to be slightly tinted and show the reflection of the light bulb in front of it when turned on. The bulb should be a 100w-150w incandescent or the equivalent led with clear or smoky glass bulb. It is meant to be used in a room that is mostly dark with maybe a little ambient light. I want it to look as close as it can to what the actual device would look. I would like to know what I did wrong and what I did right (if anything).

Sketchup File https://www.dropbox.com/s/levhgn233e8t8 ... x.skp?dl=0
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (106.5 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (33.28 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (32.11 KiB) Viewed 2609 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Help Me Learn with This Unusual Project

Post by Fletch » Tue May 22, 2018 4:05 pm

Hello Mich81,
Sorry for late reply, somehow this question was lost in the shuffle.
  1. we changed the glass materials, using only templates - see attached scene.
  2. we changed environment and turned off sun. - see attached scene.
  3. we deleted your light bulb and inserted png image of bulb (back-to-back copies, actually) setting material to emitter/fake emitter 800 Lumens.
  4. we rendered with Medium+ render setting.
  5. we rendered with Easy09 render setting.
  6. we set image Tone Mapping to 1.5 exposure in render dialog. This can easily be set to exposure 2.0
  7. we placed objects in front and behind to help understand what's happening with relfections/refractions in this scene.
:>: :>: :>: Lightbox Scene SU2018 format
Attachments
Light box-TWLSupport_Scene 2-Medium+.jpg
Light box-TWLSupport_Scene 2-Medium+.jpg (235 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Light box-TWLSupport_Scene 2-easy09.jpg
Light box-TWLSupport_Scene 2-easy09.jpg (317.91 KiB) Viewed 2522 times