Reflection of the road. illusion/fata morgana/ highway mirage

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Kenzo
SketchUp: SU PRO 2018

Reflection of the road. illusion/fata morgana/ highway mirage

Post by Kenzo » Tue May 08, 2018 11:17 am

Dear Users,

First of all i would like to introduce myself. I am Kenzo working at a international company in tech products. It has been 2 years using Sketchup pro to do small projects for my own company. Daddy of 2 kids and eager to learn hehe.

6 months ago i decided to buy Twilight render Pro for more realistic rendering. I always struggled but also always found a way to do what i wanted by reading on google, asking an experienced user. This time i couldnt find a proper solution and still need to learn a lot about twilight :lol: .

So here is my question:

I would like to create an illusion on a highway. also called fata morgana or Highway mirages.
here is an example of a picture on internet. I just dont have a clue at all where to begin making this one.
Does anybody know or could help me off fixing this problem ?

Thanks in advance !!!

PS: it looks like it rained but its not.

https://goo.gl/images/XXdCCf
https://goo.gl/images/7xtc8P
https://goo.gl/images/2KN5D5

posodrac
SketchUp: SU 17 Make

Re: Reflection of the road. illusion/fata morgana/ highway mirage

Post by posodrac » Wed May 09, 2018 11:33 am

:welcome: Kenzo
Well for a newbie with Twilight Render you seem to be too ambitious about your "endeavor" render.
If you really purchase a licence of the Pro version, first thing you have to do is to upgrade your account to get access to the "Red Carpet" Resource library and Technical Support.
Chris wrote:
Licensed user have access to the Red Carpet Resource section. If you are not a licensed user, please visit our store: http://www.twilightrender.com/index.php/buy-top
If you are a licensed user, you can get your forum account upgraded by PM'ing me with the email address you used to purchase your license.
How to: Well you could apply a procedural texture to the specular or refletion channel (PRO only).
Or you could merge a solid stripe group for water (water or mirror template) with one of asphalt - water group need to be a bit above asphalt - with the Hobbie version.
About the heat effect coming from the ground; I really can't' think any render engine could do that. Only editing the image you could apply a filter of some sort.
Remember, mirages only hapend about half way from camera and horizon (in the 2D plane of course) and lower camera point (person eye level). Some images are croped. :hat:

Kenzo

Post by Kenzo » Wed May 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi Posodrac, i send you a PM for the upgrade. Ok.. So if I understood correctly, I should do what you described and then kind of use my Photoshop skills for heating effect ? if so, I hate Photoshop :wall: . thanks for the tips. can I ask you to be a bit more specific :oops: ? sorry if i am asking too much !

posodrac
SketchUp: SU 17 Make

Post by posodrac » Wed May 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Kenzo... is to "Chris or Fletch" you should send a Private Message (moderators/team at this forum). :lol:
Don't worry "Message Deleted", your info is safe! 8-)

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed May 09, 2018 1:56 pm

Kenzo, no need to contact anyone, you are in control.
Fletch wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:24 pm Note: Twilight Render V2 Professional users, go here to automatically upgrade your account.

Want access to the goodies? If your username is in orange or blue on this forum, you already have access to the Red Carpet forum section.
If you click a link, and you see a message "You are not authorised to read this forum" then read on...

If you are a licensed user of Twilight, we will not typically connect your user account (upgrade user account) here on the forum to access the Red Carpet section unless you used the same email address to register on the forum as was used to purchase your Twilight Render License. This is not an 'automatic' process. If the email addresses are the same, then the access can possibly take up to 24 hrs. (typically less) Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

If you used a different email address to register on the forum than the email address used to purchase your license for Twilight Render, then please create an email requesting Red Carpet Access which includes:
  1. forward the email containing your approved license code
  2. include both email addresses = the one used to sign into the forum and the one used to purchase the license
  3. the user name on the forum,
  4. the name used when purchasing Twilight Render license
Send the email to:
licensing at twilightrender dot com

At your service,
Twilight Render Support
The effect of mirage - or heated air over asphalt causing light to reflect as if wet - could be done several ways.

I would use a texture of water on a plane above the road my 5mm. I would create the shapes you want to show on the highway. This allows you most control.

Or I would use a combination of procedural materials, something like this "wet asphalt" material.
Subject: rainy road - wet concrete - wet asphalt

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed May 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Attachments
mirage-heat-highway.jpg
mirage-heat-highway.jpg (282.21 KiB) Viewed 5826 times

Kenzo

Post by Kenzo » Wed May 09, 2018 2:48 pm

Wow!!!!! That is some crazy useful info right there! :whoot:
Thanks guys this is going to help me a LOT. i think i can live with wet asphalt, put some reflection so it would reflect/mirror it. didnt think about doing it this way. I was too focused looking for mirages then for option that are actually acting the same way. I cant thank you guys enough!!!

PS: I upgraded my membership thanks for that too :^: :^: :^:

Still busy with other designs too. I will keep you guys up to date with one of the models !