Problem turning light ON

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
stanulg

Problem turning light ON

Post by stanulg » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:13 am

I have created a pole lamp. The problem is, when I go to edit this light nothing happens. I'm pretty sure I'm following the instructions in the Tutorial Video. With Light Tool (Editor) open, I click ONCE on the part of the lamp where the light is coming from. Then I click ONCE for the "target" (where the light is shining). Sometimes, I can get it work. Sometimes I can't. I dont' understand what I'm doing wrong.
thanks
stanulg

nickchun
SketchUp: 2015 Pro

Re: Problem turning light ON

Post by nickchun » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:25 am

Are you using the 'pick light' tool from the 'tools' drop down in the light editor? It sounds more like you are trying to select something while the 'create light' tool tip is active. When you start the light editor it automatically activates the 'create light' tool unless you change it. Either select the 'pick light' tool or select the light from the drop down list in 'lights' in the light editor box. Alternatively select the light in sketchup then then activate the light editor. Its the actual light source you need to select, so if there is other geometry in the way or if it is part of a group or component, you will need to 'mine' into it to reach the light.
Attaching screen shots of your model would help to clarify what you are trying to to.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Problem turning light ON

Post by Fletch » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:34 am

:!: READ :!: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Basic Lighting Tutorial - it takes 3 CLICKS to place a light, the first click is a reference point, then you move away from that reference point because most lights will be placed in the air - you do not want a light object touching an adjacent surface.

Video Tutorial: