Twilight video renderings with SU

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
res08a7k
SketchUp: 2017

Twilight video renderings with SU

Post by res08a7k » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Can anyone tell me when trying to render a video in Sketchup with twilight, how many mgs will work until it slows down to much to use? I have an windows 64 bit Alien Computer with a strong video card and good power.
Some of my models are up to or over 100 mgs.
Thanks, Billy

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Twilight video renderings with SU

Post by Fletch » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:43 pm

What resolution are you rendering the video? 1080p?

How much RAM do you have? 16Gb of RAM would be plenty for most cases.

Video card does not come into play much with rendering with Twilight. It's your CPU and RAM that matters most.

This is a difficult question.
What slows renderings down:
High resolution textures
High resolution spherical sky image
Translucent materials
A lot of lights
light emitting materials

res08a7k

Post by res08a7k » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:46 pm

OK so I've gotten to the point where I need to open an animation in a mmpeg converter but unable to find one? http://ffmpeg.org/ only able to download a pdf? not the actual program?

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:20 am

For convenience we list them here: Windows or OSX. They should work right out of the box. If you need support with the installation, we can provide a little bit of help but most likely you should consult the FFMpeg web page and forum.

YouTube video tutorial using FFMPEG with Twilight Render

Subject: Announcing Twilight Render V2.6 (Animation Tools)
Chris wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:44 am ...
[*] FFMpeg - FFMpeg is a third party tool (and must be downloaded separately; more on that below) that converts a sequence of rendered images to a movie, such as mp4, avi or flash. Just like the Animated GIF, it's very easy to use. After rendering your animation, choose FFMpeg from the Tools menu. There are some options to set, including the path to the FFMpeg program, after which you choose one of the images from your sequence. Twilight Render will use FFMpeg to create you movie and save it into the same folder.[/list]
Note that these are Twilight Render Pro features.

In addition to these tools, there are some bug fixes for potential crash issues. We've also fixed some potential OSX license problems. It is recommended that all users update to the latest version.

Now, a little word about FFMpeg. You can find it here: https://ffmpeg.org/ though the actual installers are hosted separately. You can find them on the ffmpeg.org website under 'Downloads'. For convenience we list them here: Windows or OSX. They should work right out of the box. If you need support with the installation, we can provide a little bit of help but most likely you should consult the FFMpeg web page and forum.
Once you install FFMpeg, you will need to tell Twilight Render where to find it. You will be asked to locate it when you choose the FFMpeg tool. Twilight Render should remember the location after that.
Now for a little legal disclaimer. FFMpeg incorporates a very large array of encoders, decoders, filters, etc. Some of those elements have strict license terms. So let us make this clear: Twilight Render does not distribute, license, sell, or integrate FFMpeg in any way. The user is wholly responsible for compliance to any license terms included in FFMpeg. Twilight Render has no responsibility of any kind for using FFMpeg.

res08a7k

Post by res08a7k » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:08 am

Please help me find the right ffmpeg download for windows 10 64 bit.

I'm not able to find? thank you for the help.
Billy

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:59 pm

Try here?
Attachments
downloadffmpeg.png
downloadffmpeg.png (153.63 KiB) Viewed 9244 times

res08a7k

Post by res08a7k » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Thank you,
I believe I have installed the ffmpeg properly by following this video.
also tested in my power shell and seems to be there.
However, after following the instruction in the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENY8TkL ... be&t=6m36s instructional video, I'm unable to point my files to ffmpeg location and after doing so still not seeing the video? I'm not doing something right and not sure what it is?
Are there any support groups that can help me from a remote location by linking computers that might be able to walk me through this? Shouldn't be that complicated.
Thanks, Billy

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:45 am

Hello Billy,

It is strange that this has given you so much trouble. We have not received any other questions like this from any other user.
We can relate to your frustration, and apologize for the inconvenience, as you understand that FFMPEG implementation in Twilight Render was provided to be a convenience, and not a burden or frustration, we highly suggest you simply render your animations as .jpg images and use any 3rd party video editor to open the image sequence, and render your animation as a video file in any format you desire.

If you are still determined to install and utilized FFMPEG you can see clearly that when you open the FFMPEG tool inside of Twilight Render's dialog as shown in this video: https://youtu.be/ENY8TkLQ_8M?t=7m54s that you need only simply paste the path to your FFMPEG.EXE file.

If you installed FFMPEG as demonstrated in the video you linked above, then it's impossible for me to know if you installed the x86 or x64 version. Perhaps it does not matter which version, but I would imagine if you have installed the x86 (32bit) version outside of the x86 Program Files folder, then FFMPEG will most likely not run properly. Assuming you have installed the 64bit version, then inside Twilight Render's FFMPEG dialog, browse to/set the path to the FFMPEG.exe file.

I presume, if you installed according to the video's instructions you linked earlier, the path you must use would be something like:
"C:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe"