Reflections in glazing + Sky Portal

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
NStocks

Reflections in glazing + Sky Portal

Post by NStocks » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi,

I have rendered an interior scene which has no context in the background (such as trees and other buildings).

If I wanted reflections in the glass but still have a other white background/context so no garden how could I do this? Placing images in SU should cause reflections but I need to hide the image from rendering.

Also, I would be using sky portals with this.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Reflections in glazing + Sky Portal

Post by Fletch » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:20 am

You could try setting the sky to "sky color" (NOT! "Background color")
Set color to medium grey.

NStocks

Post by NStocks » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:49 pm

How would I do this if I wanted to use the external view of a building and have reflections in the glass, but not have the objects that I'm using to create reflections (such as trees) blocking the view into the glass/building. This will also be a elevation so parallel projection with no perspective whatsoever.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:27 am

Photoshop.

Honestly, a picture is worth a thousand words, and a scene is worth a million. It is not clear what you need to achieve from reading your description - posting an image demonstrating the problem will maybe result in a quick and easy solution.

However, if I understand the question correctly, you can try placing your trees behind the camera, however, if it's a parallel projection this will not likely help. Your quickest solution is the easiest - post-process reflections in photoshop.

NStocks

Post by NStocks » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:11 pm

I've found something similar to what I'm trying to achieve as attached.

Essentially, a building is surrounded by trees on all 4 sides and the project has a vast amount of glazing. For the elevations to look realistic, the reflections will really sell it in terms of reflecting the environment (trees) and in this case there is a lot of trees set back from where my elevation line is, so although the trees aren't see in the elevation, they will be seen in reflections in the glass.

I wanted to hit two birds with one stone whereby I place images of trees in the SU scene, render out the elevation which has the trees reflected, and then turn on the trees in another export so I can accurately place a select few trees in photoshop over parts of the building.

I think this is a fairly long winded method, but if it works it means I only need to do it once and it should look fairly realistic and be very accurate.
Elevation copy.jpg
Elevation copy.jpg (427.22 KiB) Viewed 6260 times

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:48 pm

In perfect elevation rendering the reflections will not work/look right. The only option is photoshop.
The other option is to use a very long zoom to mimic an elevation view. In that case, put a treeline behind the camera, or use treeline in spherical sky.