HDR Handling

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
maarten_vis

HDR Handling

Post by maarten_vis » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi friends,

I only recently learned that I can save out my renders as hdr images. When i want to edit them in Photoshop, what is the best way to go?

When I open the image and change it from 32 bit to 16 bit I get the HDR toning dialogue, which alows me to edit quite a few settings. But afterwards I wind up with a flat document. Is it possible to edit these settings in a non destructable way?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Maarten

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: HDR Handling

Post by Fletch » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:06 pm

16 bit I get the HDR toning dialogue, which alows me to edit quite a few settings. But afterwards I wind up with a flat document. Is it possible to edit these settings in a non destructable way?
Not really - what HDR allows you to do is tonemap your image and save in a format that can be viewed by the human eye or printed. Human Eye (computer monitor) can not see an entire HDR image. This is better explained in the video tutorial below.

see Minute 6:00 for an explanation of 32 bit vs 16 or 8 bit image.

HDR in Photoshop tonemapping video tutorial
This video talks about stacking multiple exposures and then editing the HDR, you can skip the stacking part, as you are saving the .hdr file straight out of Twilight Render.

Easy 08, Easy 09, and Easy 10 render settings are best for creating good HDR images for editing in an external image editors.