highest quality rendering

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
John

highest quality rendering

Post by John » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:25 pm

I have a client that wants to turn a rendering of his project into a billboard size print, 4' x 6'. The one I created for him using the 09 setting wasn't usable - the quality was too low. Is there any way to create a higher quality rendering for him to use? Thanks!

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: highest quality rendering

Post by Fletch » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:03 pm

The client needs to find out what resolution they need to print for the billboard. Then you render that resolution.

For sizing an image for a billboard, see this:
32 ppi or less is appropriate for a billboard.
Basically, if the image looks good on a printout of normal photographic size and proportions, it will blow up nicely to billboard size. Anything greater than 4000px is likely overkill. 3000px wide is perfect for a billboard, but you should verify with the printer/billboard company.

Subject: Render Size
Fletch wrote:3000 px at 144" wide = 20 dpi
In other searches of pro photographers I have seen this:
Talk to your billboard printer. The ones I've done ranged from 18 - 30 dpi at final print size, depending on the vendor.
Also:
As I said, an image that is sharp and detailed at 8x10 or 9x12 at 300 ppi will be sharp and detailed on a billboard.
That's what photographers did before digital--the rest of the process hasn't changed.
Scientific experiment?
sure: Breaking the Megapixel myth.
Sign Industry and Viewing Distance
To blow up a lower resolution the newest version of Photoshop will double the size of your photo and do it very well. There is also Gigapixel A.I. by Topaz which also does better than Photoshop in some images when I tested (tested doubling resolution of images)half of my images looked better in Photoshop and half in Topaz.

John

Post by John » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:11 am

Thank, Fletch! I contacted the billboard company and they said a minimum of 300 ppi. I used Photoshop and increased the image to 400 ppi and sent it to the graphics company. They said it would work! Thanks for your help!

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:22 pm

300ppi for a billboard? :lol:
300ppi is for a glossy magazine.
We live in a dystopian future.
Glad you were able to take care of it in Photoshop.