Error: FreeImage_LoadU: failed to open input file (for type: 17)

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
shpagin

Error: FreeImage_LoadU: failed to open input file (for type: 17)

Post by shpagin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:11 pm

Hello!
I have been using TwiLight Hobby for many years and find this plugin to SktchUp is useful very much. But the last days on my several models, render process once starbed cannot be stopped. The Log Window produces an Error: FreeImage_LoadU: failed to open input file (for type: 17). What could it be and how to deal with it?

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Error: FreeImage_LoadU: failed to open input file (for type: 17)

Post by Chris » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:19 pm

TWR uses FreeImage for some features that are missing from SketchUp and our native image processing. What is happening is, the FreeImage library is trying to open a file and failing. Why it's failing isn't indicated. 'Type 17' indicates a TGA or targa image. It could be that the file in question is using a specific format that isn't recognized. Certain GIF files are like that. The only thing you can do is identify which texture image is causing the problem and replace it. You should be able to open the image in an image editor like GIMP and resave it as a different type (like PNG) and use that in your SketchUp model.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:45 pm

Basically, as Chris said - keep your texture images to be .jpg or .png only, and you shouldn't run into any problems. If you have .tga or .tif or other texture file types, you may run into issues.

shpagin

Post by shpagin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:46 am

Thank you, Chris and Fletch,
By the method of sequential elimination, I managed to find the problem component. It is visualized as a dark silhouette. After its removal from the model, TwiLight again began to work stably. I think the forum participants will be interested to get acquainted with the problem component. It was downloaded from 3d Warhouse.
Failed_component.skp
(275.83 KiB) Downloaded 312 times