Latest version background

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
nickchun
SketchUp: 2015 Pro

Latest version background

Post by nickchun » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:24 am

Hi all,

Is there an option to change the chequered background in the render window in the latest version. I find the pattern quite off putting

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Latest version background

Post by Fletch » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:21 pm

Sorry to hear it bothers you.

As it's the exact same background checkerboard that signifies transparency in Photoshop, I guess I'm so used to seeing it that it literally disappears in my eyes.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:39 pm

As Fletch indicates, it's the "typical" pattern you see with Photoshop, Gimp, and others. That's why it was chosen.

However, yes, you can change it. Go to where Twilight Render is installed (on Windows this will be something like C:\Program Files\Twilight Render 2) and look for the "Images" folder. Find the image whose name is "grid.png". Replace it with a PNG image of the exact same size. You could go all white, all black, whatever. It is critical, though, that your new image not have any transparency at all; it needs to be fully opaque (for performance reasons).

I tried it with an all black square and it worked great.

BTW, if you are using a super-high pixel screen (like a 4K screen), you may also need to change the "grid.png" in the "Images32" folder.

Be aware that installing a new version will overwrite the file though and erase your changes.

nickchun
SketchUp: 2015 Pro

Post by nickchun » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:22 am

Thanks both,
I recognise the background from editing in Gimp, but as there is no editing going on in the same manner in the Twilight window, I do question its use. I can see that you might want to create some sort of industry standard looking template, but I often do partial renders with my clients sitting next to me, and the first person to see it commented on it also.
Anyway I have now changed it, so all good