Sketchup Crashing on Render

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
burkules

Sketchup Crashing on Render

Post by burkules » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:45 pm

Hi everyone!

Big fan of Twilight and been trying to figure out all its different applications over the last few months and recently arrived at bottle design.

However, I started trying to render a bottle with label on a bed of grass (created by the 'fur' plugin) and I've just hit a stage where trying to render crashes sketchup EVERY single time. Click render (any settings/size etc) and boom, back to desktop, bug report. Can't work out what I can do.

I've tried copying the active parts of the model into a fresh file but same problem. Tried clearing out hidden geometry etc. Still instant crash 100% of the time.

I've made everything at double scale to avoid the refection pixelisation I was getting at 1:1 scale, and I've been using a 200 sided circle as the bulk of the bottle. Is this potentially too many sides? Is there a better way to get smooth and round looking bottles?

Apparently the model is too big to post here (it's 34mb) but I'll figure out another way to get it over if anyone would be willing to have a look.

I'm on a macbook 2012 running Mojave & Sketchup 2018, Twilight 2.12.8 Hobby.

Any help much appreciated!

Adam.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Sketchup Crashing on Render

Post by Chris » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:23 am

Do you have access to a computer that doesn't run Mojave? We are working hard to resolve the issue, however many Mojave users have encountered sporadic and random problems using Twilight Render. If you are able to try on a Windows machine or a Mac that isn't running Mojave, I would like to know if the model still crashes.

(You can read a little more about the issue in our 2.12 announcement thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10721)

Otherwise, you can PM me with the model (or a drop box or google drive link if it's large) and we can take a look at it. While unlikely, it is possible that something in the geometry is causing a problem with TWR.

burkules

Post by burkules » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:05 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Just tested on windows version and it's rendering fine. No joy with the Mac fix from the linked thread though.

Will you make an announcement somewhere when the issue is resolved? I've been able to discover and avoid most of the crashes I've experienced whilst using Twilight(opening material editor too quickly after closing render screen seems to be a prime culprit) but inability to render is a bit of a road block!

Cheers

Adam.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:20 pm

We will definitely make sure to announce any updates. Hopefully we will make some progress in the next week. That is all dependent on being able to repeat and identify the problems!

Would you be able to email or pm a link to that model? Having something that reliably crashes would be useful. chris at twilightrender dot com

burkules

Post by burkules » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:14 pm

Emailed over.

Ta