indoor sconce with emitter

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
pbacot
SketchUp: 2019

indoor sconce with emitter

Post by pbacot » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:51 am

I tried indoor Sconce double sym from the light pack. I notice it has a light emitter material on curved surface, as opposed to your recommendation.. Also there are double walls with emitter pointing in. I supposed this is for the proper effect of the material.

I found this too bright, using easy O9 for a bathroom scene. Seemed to be burning a hole in the wall but not casting far.

How do you adjust the emitter in the deep editor? I ended up applying an emitter in the template editor. It's similar but your original light seemed to have a variation in the light tube which looked realistic or interesting anyway.

By the way, your tutorials are the best!

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: indoor sconce with emitter

Post by Fletch » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Did you download this pack?
Light Components for Twilight V2

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:46 pm

What are your exposure settings when rendering with Easy 09? The Indoor Sconce Double Sym looks ok to me below. :!
See below, using Simple: exposure 1, gamma 1.

Applying an emitter to curved surfaces (or not applying) is a general recommendation, not a "hard rule". If it looks good and works, then there's no reason it should not be done. It simply increases render times, but it's not otherwise hurting anything.
The emitter you are seeing in the Deep Editor is actually in the "Fog" channel, and gives the glass the subsurface scattering effect of light scattering through and lighting up the frosted glass.
Attachments
BarcelonaPavilion_MiesVanDerRohe_LightTest_Interior-Easy09.jpg
BarcelonaPavilion_MiesVanDerRohe_LightTest_Interior-Easy09.jpg (257.3 KiB) Viewed 6726 times
BarcelonaPavilion_MiesVanDerRohe_LightTest_Interior-Med4.jpg
BarcelonaPavilion_MiesVanDerRohe_LightTest_Interior-Med4.jpg (276.24 KiB) Viewed 6726 times

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:22 pm

The Light Components seem to look quite good, to me. Can you show me an image and point out more specifically the challenge so we can better assist?

Here are some of the other sconces, they also seem to look good.

If the light is too bright - and you find you are boosting the exposure, then lower the power of the lights (set them using Lumens is most precise, or cut the wattage number in half) so that when you boost the exposure it doesn't blow out the lights.
Attachments
BarcelonaPavilion_MiesVanDerRohe_LightTest_Interior-Easy09b.jpg
BarcelonaPavilion_MiesVanDerRohe_LightTest_Interior-Easy09b.jpg (201.85 KiB) Viewed 6723 times

pbacot

Post by pbacot » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:37 pm

I might have saved a first test but I don't have all the settings. I'll run with the original fixture for comparison.

pbacot

Post by pbacot » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:30 pm

I adjust lights and (emitter materials in template editor). I just don't know where to adjust an emitter in the deep editor.

BTW in the template editor, what does it mean "total output" as opposed to "per square meter". Total output of what? All the surfaces in the model with that material?

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:00 pm

pbacot wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:30 pm BTW in the template editor, what does it mean "total output" as opposed to "per square meter". Total output of what? All the surfaces in the model with that material?
Yes, that's exactly what it means. Though if you have your geometry in a component, I think it treats it as total surface within that component rather than the entire model.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:11 am

pbacot wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:30 pm I adjust lights and (emitter materials in template editor). I just don't know where to adjust an emitter in the deep editor.

BTW in the template editor, what does it mean "total output" as opposed to "per square meter". Total output of what? All the surfaces in the model with that material?
If you want to convert the lamp glass called "Diffuser_Sconce_Double" to be a simple emitter, I would just convert it to the template "Emit" material, as it's more convenient to adjust there. You would do better, if you want to keep the Diffuser Glass material easily editable without going to the deep editor, to convert the lampshade glass of the component by applying the Twilight Material Template>Lamp Glass>Gloss (will be reflective like glass when you turn off the light inside) or Matte (doesn't have the reflectivity of Gloss template, acts more like a sandblasted glass surface) But it's best not to change the glass at all as it works well the way it is, and the Template>Lamp Glass>Glass does not look/act the same as the Deep Material. See attached. Simply change the watts of the lights inside to be 6 instead of default 13. Copy the light bulbs around inside of the component if you want more evenly distributed light inside of the glass tubes.

If you open the Indoor_Sconce_DoubleSym lampshade/glass material called "Diffuser_Sconce_Double" in the Deep Editor you will find the "emitter" under "Fog>Simple Fog Interior">Emit Intensity is set to 1.000
It is not actually emitting visible light unless it's hit with light from the point lights inside of the component. So no need to change it.
Attachments
Low+ Render Setting
Low+ Render Setting
13-watts.jpg (66.1 KiB) Viewed 6700 times
Low+ Render Setting
Low+ Render Setting
6-watts.jpg (59.68 KiB) Viewed 6700 times
Low+ Render Setting
Low+ Render Setting
0-watts.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 6700 times

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:34 am

Here it is with 12 point light "bulbs" at 6 watts each
Attachments
6-watts-12bulbs.jpg
6-watts-12bulbs.jpg (62.76 KiB) Viewed 6696 times

pbacot

Post by pbacot » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:40 pm

Thanks Fletch! I didn't see this last bit you posted. I'll have to study it.