Painting faces in a grouo

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
nickcrush

Painting faces in a grouo

Post by nickcrush » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:20 pm

Hi
I am new to Twilight (and rendering in general).
I have watched the tutorial videos and have a question about add materials to groups.
The tutorial advises not to add a material to a group, but does this also include just simple paint colours? I will use SketchUp to design bespoke kitchens and the cabinets and doors have quite detailed mouldings and panels. It will be time consuming if I have to add paint colour to each visible face separately for each cabinet every time.
So in this case is it ok to add simple colours to the cabinets as grouped items ?
And can is till use the Twilight paint settings and templates ?
Thanke

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Painting faces in a grouo

Post by Chris » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:06 pm

Yes, you absolutely can paint groups as a whole. You will want to be careful, however, that all the faces that the camera can see are front faces and that none of the individual faces are painted (unless that's what you want). If an individual face has it's back face painted, that will be used instead of the group material.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Holding alt key down while painting a default-colored face inside of a group will cause all default-colored faces within the group to be automatically painted, you don't have to individually paint every little face inside the group one-by-one.

However, as Chris mentioned, there's no problem in painting groups if:
1) the faces are front and not back, and none of the back faces or any faces within the group are painted. (as mentioned in the video)
2) the material being used to paint the group does not contain a texture. Painting a group means you will not be able to adjust the texture mapping. (as pointed out in the video)

nickcrush

Post by nickcrush » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:19 pm

Thanks for the replies and clarification on this