Red Dots on Render

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
RichBowen

Red Dots on Render

Post by RichBowen » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:57 am

Hello,

I have done a render on Exterior + (Easy 09 from memory), which has shown up about 20 small red dots. They look like dead pixels (but arn't). I have a spot light as an up lighter on a flame texture which is semi transparent (like a recent Tutorial on this forum).

When I render the same scene in Easy 09 (Interior +) the dots go away.

So my question is why does this happen and is there any disadvantage of rendering and Exterior garden scene on an interior setting?

Thanks all!

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Red Dots on Render

Post by Fletch » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:57 pm

No disadvantage.

Exterior (easy 08, not 09) is for 2 lights only - sun and sky, other lights and HDR image lighting can cause artifacts (as you've experienced, sorry)

Easy 09 is the best setting for final renderings interior and exterior whatever the lighting/materials. (with a few exceptions, check tip #5 below!) So feel free to render on Easy 09, it should give good night-shot results. :)

Render Settings Tips
  1. Prefer a crispier look? Try alternative antialiasing methods
  2. Render Settings - the Best One
  3. How to Modify Twilight Render Settings
  4. Easy 1-7 Photon Mapping and Final Gather (Biased)
  5. Progressive Rendering (Unbiased Method)

RichBowen

Post by RichBowen » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:20 pm

Fletch,

Thanks. Seems so obvious now, forgot about the light (sounds stupid I know)....

So Easy 09, also good for daylight Exterior shots too? But if I didnt have the spot light then best to go for Easy 08 (as long as it is just Sun and Sky with no HDR images)... But as you say might as well just go for Easy 09 most of the time. Thanks.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:52 pm

Yes, Easy 09 is my go-to setting for most renderings, interior, exterior night shots, or otherwise. :hat: