Tips to make it less noisy

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
chxchx
SketchUp: 2018

Tips to make it less noisy

Post by chxchx » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am

SAMPLE1.jpg
SAMPLE1.jpg (83.73 KiB) Viewed 6605 times
Well I rendered this one using interior render 9 and just used a fake emitter for the pinlights and added an omni light as additional light inside the room and then main light coming from outdoor balcony.
Questions.
1. It seem to have a lot of noise but I rendered it with around 9 hours cooking time..
doesn't look crisp enough that final render really needs photoshop make over :shock: sadly. do you all use post processing for your images to make it look better?
2. I use finger grab type stainless for the cab doors, used stainless finish and made shininess around 50k is that too much? somehow it doesn't look stainless enough to me.
3. I use around 2mm space bet 2 cabinet doors to reflect some lines dividing them but in my initial renders they didn't reflect much so I adjusted to around 12mm space to really make it reflect. Do you have better idea for that?

Thanks everyone in advance!

:)

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Tips to make it less noisy

Post by Chris » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:31 pm

One thing to know is that the Interior settings (ie., 9) don't respect the "fake" emitter setting. Anything you set to a fake emitter will actually be an emitter.

Regarding noise, there are 2 main types in a progressive render. One is "monte-carlo" noise that is inherent in the rendering method. The only way to reduce it is increase time, or increase light. The second is high intensity or "firefly" noise that occurs when you have a small but very bright light source (or several) or can also occur when lights intersect geometry, you have oddly reflective materials (some of the brushed metals will do this).

I think your issue is simply insufficient light.

chxchx

Post by chxchx » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:43 pm

Chris wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:31 pm One thing to know is that the Interior settings (ie., 9) don't respect the "fake" emitter setting. Anything you set to a fake emitter will actually be an emitter.

Regarding noise, there are 2 main types in a progressive render. One is "monte-carlo" noise that is inherent in the rendering method. The only way to reduce it is increase time, or increase light. The second is high intensity or "firefly" noise that occurs when you have a small but very bright light source (or several) or can also occur when lights intersect geometry, you have oddly reflective materials (some of the brushed metals will do this).

I think your issue is simply insufficient light.
Hi Chris, where do you think should I add additional lights here? I was thinking if I needed spot lights under the general lights. also I have a question seems like the shadow in my sketchup from the sun ray is not the same with the shadow it displays when I render.. I mean in sketchup I have longer rays of light coming from the balcony and in the render this is just what it displays, I'm a bit confuse.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.. I :gj: :gj: :gj:

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:39 am

chxchx wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am 1. It seem to have a lot of noise but I rendered it with around 9 hours cooking time..
The speed of the rendering totally depends on the CPU on your render machine. Faster CPU and more threads means faster rendering.
SAMPLE1-TWL.jpg
SAMPLE1-TWL.jpg (105.67 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
Pro users can cut rendering times drastically with the AI Denoise plugin for Twilight Render called "Fast Forward". Render 2x-3x faster... even more, depending on scene/situation.

chxchx wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am doesn't look crisp enough
Render larger image for a more crisp rendering... or use photo editor. Fast Forward plugin for Twilight Pro will also sharpen the image automatically.
chxchx wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am that final render really needs photoshop make over :shock: sadly. do you all use post processing for your images to make it look better?
Obviously, first, you should watch the video tutorials on interior lighting and materials which are linked in my signature below.

Secondly, You could take a careful look at this thread where I develop the interior renderings of a large church, it discusses lighting and materials and render methods.
Subject: Jubilee Church - Revisited

In this portion of the same thread you can see where we discuss the importance of tone mapping. Tone mapping can be done with the image directly within Twilight Render. But you will always have more control over your image inside of a photo editor. There is no professional creating rendered images or even actual photography of real life architecture who does not use a photo editor to enhance their image. This is a necessary part of all professional image creation workflow.

The image while being rendered is in HDR format, so that you can save the image, if you own Twilight Pro, as .hdr format and tone map the image more precisely in a HDR photo editor.
chxchx wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am2. I use finger grab type stainless for the cab doors, used stainless finish and made shininess around 50k is that too much? somehow it doesn't look stainless enough to me.
Try the NK metals from the material library. Choose Twilight Material tool, click your metal material to edit - opens Template Material editor > Tools > Import Library > Yes - replace existing Template > NK Metals > choose the metal you wish.
Keep in mind that NK metals render best with Easy 09 or Easy 10
chxchx wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am3. I use around 2mm space bet 2 cabinet doors to reflect some lines dividing them but in my initial renders they didn't reflect much so I adjusted to around 12mm space to really make it reflect. Do you have better idea for that?
Did you build the model with beveled or rounded corners on the cabinet doors?
Subject: Sharp corners = unrealistic
Fletch wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:24 pm It's a common topic in almost any forum on rendering.

It's simple to model a cube in SketchUp, but when you render it, it's obviously a rendering. This is because it has sharp corners. Most things in real life do not have sharp corners. Unfortunately, cabinetry, desks, window sills, even buildings in SketchUp have sharp corners, because it's so easy to do....
chxchx wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 amwhere do you think should I add additional lights here?
Instead of an omni light, maybe try to use a large rectangle "invisible emitting" surface floating near the ceiling but not very powerful to provide a soft general direct lighting.

chxchx

Post by chxchx » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:12 pm

Fletch wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:39 am
chxchx wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am 1. It seem to have a lot of noise but I rendered it with around 9 hours cooking time..
The speed of the rendering totally depends on the CPU on your render machine. Faster CPU and more threads means faster rendering.
SAMPLE1-TWL.jpg
Pro users can cut rendering times drastically with the AI Denoise plugin for Twilight Render called "Fast Forward". Render 2x-3x faster... even more, depending on scene/situation.

chxchx wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am doesn't look crisp enough
Render larger image for a more crisp rendering... or use photo editor. Fast Forward plugin for Twilight Pro will also sharpen the image automatically.
chxchx wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am that final render really needs photoshop make over :shock: sadly. do you all use post processing for your images to make it look better?
Obviously, first, you should watch the video tutorials on interior lighting and materials which are linked in my signature below.

Secondly, You could take a careful look at this thread where I develop the interior renderings of a large church, it discusses lighting and materials and render methods.
Subject: Jubilee Church - Revisited

In this portion of the same thread you can see where we discuss the importance of tone mapping. Tone mapping can be done with the image directly within Twilight Render. But you will always have more control over your image inside of a photo editor. There is no professional creating rendered images or even actual photography of real life architecture who does not use a photo editor to enhance their image. This is a necessary part of all professional image creation workflow.

The image while being rendered is in HDR format, so that you can save the image, if you own Twilight Pro, as .hdr format and tone map the image more precisely in a HDR photo editor.
chxchx wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am2. I use finger grab type stainless for the cab doors, used stainless finish and made shininess around 50k is that too much? somehow it doesn't look stainless enough to me.
Try the NK metals from the material library. Choose Twilight Material tool, click your metal material to edit - opens Template Material editor > Tools > Import Library > Yes - replace existing Template > NK Metals > choose the metal you wish.
Keep in mind that NK metals render best with Easy 09 or Easy 10
chxchx wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am3. I use around 2mm space bet 2 cabinet doors to reflect some lines dividing them but in my initial renders they didn't reflect much so I adjusted to around 12mm space to really make it reflect. Do you have better idea for that?
Did you build the model with beveled or rounded corners on the cabinet doors?
Subject: Sharp corners = unrealistic
Fletch wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:24 pm It's a common topic in almost any forum on rendering.

It's simple to model a cube in SketchUp, but when you render it, it's obviously a rendering. This is because it has sharp corners. Most things in real life do not have sharp corners. Unfortunately, cabinetry, desks, window sills, even buildings in SketchUp have sharp corners, because it's so easy to do....
chxchx wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 amwhere do you think should I add additional lights here?
Instead of an omni light, maybe try to use a large rectangle "invisible emitting" surface floating near the ceiling but not very powerful to provide a soft general direct lighting.
Hi Good day sir Fletch! I like your renders they really look so crisp and I almost cant see any noise, anyway I did the changes I've seen here.
1. added a projector type of like to give illumination. I also added spotlight ies type.
2. rounded the corners of the doors :whoot: :whoot: :whoot: wow it worked like magic1
3. gave it longer time to render morethan 24 hours I think.
4. gave it really big screen around 9k pix

I think it's still noisy and is it true according to a great tut. vid I saw that after 9hours that's the best twilight can render a scene?

thank you so much for helping just want to see if I can make this as crisp as the rest.

chx
Attachments
final123.jpg
final123.jpg (407.3 KiB) Viewed 6569 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:07 pm

I would not render any larger than 4000px, (I suggest 1920px wide to 2800px wide as a "normal" render) the larger the image, the longer the render time.
If you render 9000px, use Easy render setting 11 - interior preview. This will not enable super sampling.
Easy 09 has super sampling set to 3x3, which means it renders in the background a much larger image, but down-samples the image by 3px x 3px when displaying the final image to give a sharpness, and to help eliminate noise.

It's impressive that you can render at 9000px at all!

What are your exposure settings in the Post Processing tab of Twilight in the bottom right corner of the render window?

The materials on the cabinets seem to need more work - perhaps bump map too strong?

The length of render time depends on rendering resolution (size of image), your machine CPU, number of lights, number of reflective surfaces, number of light emitting surfaces, number of blurry reflective materials. If you don't like noise or long render times, do not use light emitting materials at all. Only spot or point lights, and render with Easy 04 you should get a very nice rendering of this space much more quickly. Or, use Twilight Pro, and use Fast Forward plugin for Twilight Pro to cut render times in half or even much less.

Make sure that no spot or point lights are intersecting with geometry. This can cause slow rendering and artifacts.

For the TV use fake emit, and increase wattage power of the image to look correct for your exposure settings/compared to other lights in the space.