Model will not render in entirety

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Muggle

Model will not render in entirety

Post by Muggle » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:30 am

I know that it is probably too complex, too many faces and edges, but there is nothing I can remove or proxy. Is there any way please, that I can get this model to render? It will only render the ceiling. Thank you for any help.
Attachments
For Twilight Forum.jpg
For Twilight Forum.jpg (228.97 KiB) Viewed 7298 times

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Model will not render in entirety

Post by Chris » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:28 pm

If it is only rendering the ceiling, you likely have a problem with a section plane cutting everything out, or a layer problem.

You can disable section plane rendering in the render window under settings. Otherwise if it's a layer problem you can right click on a component in the scene, choose Twilight Render V2 -> Render visible layers in ALL components.

Muggle

Post by Muggle » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:31 pm

I took out the majority of the tables and chairs and it rendered that way. I will do as your suggest, but if it comes to the worst, I will have to try to find a low poly Chiavari chair as I am pretty sure those are the culprits. But fingers crossed your suggestion saves me all that extra work. Thank you, if not... Photoshop here I come! Back to the drawing board I go.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:33 pm

That's frustrating, sorry to hear.
It may work if you:
explode the groups of tables and chairs so that the chairs remain as components, but are not inside other groups.
sometimes the way sketchup reports groups with nested components to Twilight is awkward and results in errors.

You could use the high-poly chair as an EXTERNAL PROXY, or maybe first try right-click the high-poly chair component and choose to replace with proxy (Twilight Pro users only)
Subject: V2 Tutorials Animated Snippets #Proxycomponents
Fletch wrote: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:09 pm #Instances #Instancing #proxies #components #proxycomponents

A Proxy is a small stand-in model that takes the place of another more complex model.
In Twilight V2 you can select any component in your model, right-click and choose an option:
  1. Twilight V2>Proxy Tool
    > Opens Tool allowing you to place proxy component "billboard boxes" around your scene. When rendered, the proxies will be the same geometry as the original component chosen. Be sure that the original component chosen is at it's original insertion scale/size. If not, the proxy created will be either too big or too small because it will be created at the original component scale. If you desire a scale other than the original insertion scale for the component, you must first select the component in SketchUp after it has been scaled, and explode it, and create a new component from the exploded geometry. Choosing "Scale Definition" for the component then choosing component again and choosing "make unique" will also make the Twilight V2 Proxy tool use the new scale. Also, be sure that the component's axes are oriented as you desire before creating the proxy (select component>Right-click>Change Axes) because the proxy will use the component's axis for generating it's red, blue, and green axis billboards. If your proxy does not look right, it's likely the Axes or the scale for the original component were set incorrectly.
  2. Twilight V2>Convert to Proxy
    > The Proxy Tool will leave the original component "untouched" or "unchanged". But in case the original component itself is way to poly heavy for SketchUp to navigate easily, you may want the original component iteself to be represented with a proxy billboard box instead. Choose "Convert to Proxy" to accomplish this. Then this proxy component can be copied around your scene however you wish or used for automatic component distribution with a plugin such as Fur plugin for Spray component plugin, just to name a few of the many plugins available for this purpose.
  3. Twilight V2>Set External Proxy
    > You may have created some amazing car, person, or tree in Kerkythea (The world-renowned free render studio).
    If you wish to see them in your SketchUp renderings this is NOW POSSIBLE with "Set External Proxy". You could even set up entire parking lots of cars ready to render in Kerkythea, and in SketchUp have an empty parking lot component which is the same parking striping layout,then set the external proxy for your empty parking lot to the Kerkythea parking lot scene. When rendered with Twilight, the cars will be rendered with your SU model.
    :shock: 8-)

Muggle

Post by Muggle » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:18 pm

Thank you Fletch. I knew that the problem lay in the chairs, so I went back and got rid of all of chairs and tables I had, and found a chair that was not as glamourous as the one I was using, but sufficed. Rendering after that was no problem at all. This was the finished product. PS: I know I could be better, but I do try. :) There are just not enough hours in the day to keep up with all the apps I use and still do my normal duties. Still trying to figure out how to bend a model made with ClothWorks so it fits the back of the chair properly without a space. Exercise for the brain is good.
Attachments
ALADDIN  TWILIGHT FULL ROOM TWIFOR.jpg
ALADDIN TWILIGHT FULL ROOM TWIFOR.jpg (620.92 KiB) Viewed 7275 times

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:37 pm

If you still have it, can you send us a link to the chair that wasn't working? It would be good to test and see what the problem is.

Muggle

Post by Muggle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:18 am

So sorry I have no idea how to send you a link from the warehouse. Did not even know that was possible? The chair though is found under the search - Chiavari Chair by Lorenathome, Image attached.
Attachments
Screenshot 2019-08-04 at 8.17.56 pm.png
Screenshot 2019-08-04 at 8.17.56 pm.png (358.66 KiB) Viewed 7268 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Yes, a 23Mb chair component tells us that one could potentially build the model with the same quality but much less polys/possibility for error.

It was most likely converted from another program, and this often results in errors for SketchUp.

Muggle

Post by Muggle » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:46 pm

Nice job on that chair though to my eye. Of course because my model was viewed at a distance, the detail was really not necessary, but I always feel that I need to try to be as authentic as possible. Thank you. :)