Lights not required

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
zarnollistudio

Lights not required

Post by zarnollistudio » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:13 pm

Good evening,
I would like to make a very basic render, with basic textures. My render setting regarding Edit environnement is : sky color with a beige. Everything looks good to me, except this very small lights appearing all the time near the round wall and sometimes near the first step of the stair.
My floor is totaly stuck against the walls.
According my knowledge, I would say that my sketchup work is correct.
I have tried several renders : Easy (4, 5, 6)... still these lights appearing...

Can you help me to make them disappear ?

Many thanks in advance.

Chantal
Attachments
LAURENCE wrong.jpg
LAURENCE wrong.jpg (169.71 KiB) Viewed 5309 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Lights not required

Post by Fletch » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:30 pm

These are known as a "light leak" this is because you likely have no wall/floor/ceiling thickness there. Be sure your walls and ceiling are closed boxes with thickness, not single planes intersecting one another. Make sure corners are "water tight".

The other possibility is that it is a light flare due to low ray tracing photon mapping or final gathering parameters (need to use higher quality render setting). The Easy 09 setting would be perfect for your scene's final render, and will not show light leaks.

zarnollistudio

Post by zarnollistudio » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:12 pm

Thank you for your very prompt answer. Starting Easy 9, and it looks the lights have disappeared. I have never used more than Easy 6+ because of the requested time. Let's see. It is a pity to have to use Easy 9 for very basic texture. I thought that type of rendering was for very detailled nice textures.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:14 pm

Easy 1-7 are photon mapping and final gather render settings, if they are not working for a certain situation you will need to learn to modify the render setting.

If you do not want to learn how to modify the render settings, then Easy 08 or 09 are the best choices 08 for exteriors, 09 for interiors.

Render Settings Tips
  1. Render Settings - the Best One
  2. How to Modify Twilight Render Settings
  3. Easy 1-7 Photon Mapping and Final Gather (Biased)
  4. Progressive Rendering (Unbiased Method)
  5. Prefer a crispier look? Try alternative antialiasing methods

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Other tips to stop these light flares or leaks:

set Default color in SketchUp/Twilight to be darker grey color. This is done with Twilight Render material tool, choosing the default material in your SketchUp model, and change the color in Twilight material dialog.

Use the Sun-Sky render settings that come with Twilight Render V2
sunskysettings.jpg
sunskysettings.jpg (84.19 KiB) Viewed 5138 times
Those Sun-Sky settings are based on these settings developed for eliminating light leaks/light flares like shown in your problem image. These come from too few light sources (2 light sources, namely Sun and Sky) in the scene for the Easy01-07 render settings.

Subject: Flare Fix render settings
Fletch wrote: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:18 pm correct, these were result of flare fix settings research/testing.

use this set of render settings:
"sun sky biased settings for V2"

If rendering test renderings, ignore the light leaks. Only render with Easy09 for the final rendering after all is set up.

These come from low photon shooting and low final gather settings. These settings are low in order to get fast preliminary rendering. When you render the final image on higher render setting they should go away. They do not exist in Easy 08 or 09.

Also, you can try using these render settings: