Object not rendering

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
NullMind

Object not rendering

Post by NullMind » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi

I am testing the Hobby version, when I try to render a scene I have (a couch object) that wont render, it's not on a hidden layer, I even moved it to it's own layer to ensure that in the Twilight Renderer I made sure that layer was on

Now the caveat, the object was a 3DS object I imported into SketchUp .. does that make a different (should it ?)

I even tried to position the camera inside the object, in case the faces were somehow inverted, but still wont render the object

Any ideas ? thanks for any help, glad to send the file to test if anybody wishes it.

Null

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Object not rendering

Post by Chris » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:22 pm

Once an object is imported into SketchUp, there won't be any issue with geometry; what you see is what you get.

As to why your object isn't rendering, this almost always falls under one of 2 categories: either there is a layer issue (as you mention) or a section plane is cutting it out. The easiest way to rule out a section plane issue is to make sure section plane rendering is turned off (Settings -> Section Cut Render).

If the issue is a layer (and SketchUp can get a little weird with nested layers (or 'tags' as they are now called in SU 2020)), usually right clicking on the component and choosing "Twilight Render V2 -> Render Only Visible Layers in Component" will solve the issue.

If that doesn't fix it, I recommend exploding the whole thing down to raw faces and then re-grouping and making it a component. That will ensure there aren't any nested layer issues.

Because you mention it, know that Twilight Render doesn't do "backface culling" so whether you see the front or the backface, it will always render. That said, there are times when it will render weird and so we always recommend dealing with front faces if at all possible.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Object not rendering

Post by Fletch » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:24 pm

There is a possibility you have chosen not to "update all content" in the Render Dialog, also, 3ds imported geometry is notoriously quirky when rendering. It's possible you have set the render engine to render only certain layers. Be sure all rendered layers are set to match SketchUp's visibility, and update content is set to all.

Please watch the 6 Essentials video tutorial series linked in my signature below, it talks about updated content.

It would be faster to diagnose the problem if the problem file were shared here (via file share link). :hat: