Rendering looking like 2D

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
endezinephi

Rendering looking like 2D

Post by endezinephi » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:53 am

Hi..I have just started using TR, I am having a challenge rending my design, when I render with any rendering options in TR, the render comes as if its a 2D render without any depth effect and details being shown.
I am not sure why this is happening, I am sharing the image with the render and just the design how it should look.

Can someone point me what is missing..or why this is happening. I have tried TR with other designs as well, the output is same hazy, looks 2D and design doesn't get rendered completely.

I am sharing the design and rendered image with details.

I am using sketchup 17.2 version on Windows platform. TR is a hobby version

Thanks,
Pradeep
Attachments
Designer Rendered Image
Designer Rendered Image
Sample Design TR Rendered Image.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 5353 times
The design screenshot
The design screenshot
Sample Design TR.png (154.47 KiB) Viewed 5353 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Rendering looking like 2D

Post by Fletch » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:40 am

To emphasize edge lines and give the rendering more "pop" - bevel the corners of edges. (Pro users can Select edge>Right Click> Twilight v2>Bevel edge) or you can use a 3rd party plugin for Sketchup like Fredo Round Corner.

Another way is to use "edge lines" feature on your material. See our Website's Tutorials page - link in my signature.

Another way is to add a gap between adjacent objects to give the depth you want to achieve - the more realistic your model, and the more realistic the materials, the more realistic the rendering will be.

endezinephi

Post by endezinephi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:42 pm

Hi Fletch,

Thanks for responding, will go thru the details shared, however, the design created is a 3D dimensional one which has depths and projections of objects. My Q is as a render software shouldn't it create create a 3D effect with the depth & perspective based on view irrespective if its pro or hobby version.

If you see the image shared, it does have depth and 3D design give more realistic view

Thanks,
Pradeep
Attachments
3D Skethcup view file 2
3D Skethcup view file 2
Sample Design TR 2.png (243.49 KiB) Viewed 5339 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:56 pm

You should consider lighting your scene with HDR spherical sky - it should look better.

The model looks nice in SketchUp, but for photo-realistic rendering it is low poly and low detail, please watch the 6 Essentials video tutorials linked in my signature, the first one is on the importance of a good model... this is true for any render engine.

You can choose to add edge lines under the "advanced" pull-down menu in Twilight Render Material dialog if you like the edge lines look from SketchUp.

SEE ALSO: Sharp corners = unrealistic

Example before and after bevel: