Rendering too slow?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Kodek

Rendering too slow?

Post by Kodek » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:09 pm

Hello all,

I really appreciate twilight and I used to dabble with kerkythea a little, way back when.

Anyhow, I'm using Twilight V2 Hobby edition and noticed that when I use render settings involving types such as - interior progressive/bi-directional/MLT.

I might only get about 5 passes in a half hour to an hour. The image still appears very grainy and spotty with lots of tiny black dots.

My pc is running a Ryzen 7 2700x 3.3 ghz 8 core, 12mb ram, m2.ssd. So was curious if this sounds about normal or comparable to other users results when running those type of render settings.

If I upgrade to the pro edition would this help speed up the process? Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Rendering too slow?

Post by Fletch » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:58 pm

some things that slow renderings:

What resolution are you rendering? higher resolutions = longer render times
Do you have many high resolution texture images for your materials?
How many lights in your scene?
Are there a lot of reflective or translucent materials with blurry reflections or blurry translucencies?

Kodek

Post by Kodek » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:26 pm

Hi thanks

I have been using a higher resolution to match views on my widescreen monitor - they are around 2556 x 928

My image files are not that high resolution, although I do use the material editor to apply templates on almost everything.

Usually only two point lights, or a window letting in global light.

My latest render object has no glass or translucent materials in view although a window pain filtering light out of view is translucent.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:57 pm

Easy 09 (mlt) is the best unbiased method for typical architectural interiors.
Easy 10 (mlt+biPT) takes 2x longer and has few benefits for this type of rendering.
AMD Ryzen™ 7 2700 Processor Graphics Model
# of CPU Cores 8
# of Threads 16
Max Boost Clock Up to 4.1GHz Base Clock 3.2GHz
Be sure it is rendering with all 16 threads, there is no reason it should not be rendering on all available threads by default, unless you changed something? It should be a great cpu.

At around 480 passes on a single thread machine should be "client ready". Each "pass" is per core/thread, so for each pass on your machine you actually have 12 passes. After 40 (480/12=40) passes in a well-lit interior you should have a slightly grainy, but good image. That said, Fast-forward add-on for Twilight is on sale for 25% off at the moment, and would clear up any noise left after 40 passes. Maybe even reducing render times by half, depending on the scene and materials and lighting, etc.

Likely you will be seeing about 5 minutes per pass, especially in low light conditions, maybe even longer, so it could take up to 3.3 hours for 40 passes on your machine.

Kodek

Post by Kodek » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:40 pm

Thanks again.

By default, it was using all 16 threads.

It may have been due to using the progressive+ settings that you pointed out. I just now purchased the pro license and noise reduction add-on and have tried the progressive 09 method and it reached 5 passes in about 20 minutes with better results (less black dots).

So thanks so much for the help, and I'm happy so far with the pro version and add-on.

Do I have to do anything additional for the noise reducer add-on to work or does it automatically take effect on the renders?

Kodek

Post by Kodek » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:11 pm

Do I have to do anything additional for the noise reducer add-on to work or does it automatically take effect on the renders?

Spoke too soon. I figured it out in the capture button, bottom right. It's pretty nifty :clap:

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:50 am

Please post example of your rendering, perhaps we can give some advice.
If you are using sun and sky only to light your interior through your window, and rendering with Easy 09, you may want to use a sky portal to get your image to clear up faster. Sky portal acts like a funnel to force all the sky and sun rays to pass through the window. Without it, only the rays which might randomly fall through the window are calculated. See our sky portal video.

See attached to enable/disable Fastforward denoise (probably it is enabled by default). If you see a check mark, it is enabled. I usually turn it off while rendering in the beginning because the rendering seems to go faster without it enabled, trying to refresh the image, and then I enable it when I think it will look good, or just when I want to check and see the results.
Attachments
Denoise-enable-disable.gif
Denoise-enable-disable.gif (64.31 KiB) Viewed 9984 times

JBU

Post by JBU » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:48 pm

Hi,

I just discovered Twilight Render and I am enthusiastic about it. Everything started off well but a few days ago it slowed down so much, I would say it practically stopped rendering even with the preliminary render.

I am using the V2 free, downloaded from your website. I use Mac, Catalina OS.

Thanks,

JBU
Attachments
Scene 1.pdf
(3.5 MiB) Downloaded 429 times

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:43 pm

Fletch wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:58 pm some things that slow renderings:

What resolution are you rendering? higher resolutions = longer render times
Do you have many high resolution texture images for your materials?
How many lights in your scene?
Are there a lot of reflective or translucent materials with blurry reflections or blurry translucencies?
Did you apply light emitting material to several surfaces? Possibly applied to a curving surface?