How would you improve this kitchen scene?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
GracjanaK

How would you improve this kitchen scene?

Post by GracjanaK » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:44 pm

Hi everyone!
This is my first ever render so I understand there is a lot of things that needs to be improved I would like to know though how can I add some more realism to this scene (apart from the floating plant :lol: ) ? I am aware that the lighting is not the best but I don't really know how to correct it :?
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (920.31 KiB) Viewed 9516 times
snip.JPG
snip.JPG (94.75 KiB) Viewed 9513 times
Last edited by GracjanaK on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: How would you improve this scene?

Post by Fletch » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:26 pm

Hello GracjanaK - please try attaching the image again.

GracjanaK

Re: How would you improve this scene?

Post by GracjanaK » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:16 am

Done! :)

Fletch

Re: How would you improve this kitchen scene?

Post by Fletch » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:39 pm

Gracais GacjanaK, :lol:

First - it's looking pretty amazing for your first rendering. :! :gj: (I think you have some experience, am I wrong?)

Things to consider:

I am noticing you set the sun to power of 5000. This is not suggested. If the sun is stronger than 5 something is wrong.
It appears that your sun angle is on the opposite side of the house - so that the sun is not coming into the window. Any light that is too strong will slow the render engine down as it will need to constantly perform error correction and ray rejection.

Have you set the glass in the window to be Architectural>Common ? (if not, this is what you want.)
If you want more light coming in through the window, build a sky portal like this video tutorial explains.

Actually, direct sunlight through the window is not recommended by some artists I've seen, as it can be distracting with the strong shadows. Also getting the right exposure for your camera with direct sunlight can be "challenging".

The floor material looks like it was freshly sanded and has no finish. Have you seen our kitchen with Twilight Render video tutorial? It talks about the floor material and the LED cabinet lighting.

Is it your intention to have the ceiling can lights off? What about the two spots over the sink? They may be "on" but maybe you need to add a point light inside to light up the interior of those light fixtures.

Material on potted plant on the left?
Maybe wood material on cabinet on far left is too dark?

GracjanaK

Post by GracjanaK » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:11 am

Hi Fletch,

Thank you for responding so quickly. I have no experience using any designing software. I am an interior design student and this is my second SketchUp drawing and first ever render so I am happy it's not completely useless. Thank you :)

I have corrected the sun settings so the light and window view looks much better.
Yes, the window glass was set up to common. The sky portal was a life changer! Thank you for the links they were very useful.

The shininess on the wooden floor is adjusted to "satin" now but I didn't want to add to much as the material I have chosen is brushed oak with no shine.

I have added point lights to the recessed and task lighting now and it looks much better. Thank you

The only thing I would like to ask is about the render length. It took significantly longer this time to render the scene. Is it due to the added emitters? Should I reduce the amount of added template materials? I use Easy 9 for all my renders.

Overall I'm loving Twilight render and having so much fun with it :)

I'm attaching the updated scene.
Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (929.89 KiB) Viewed 9489 times

ntxdave
SketchUp: 2020Pro

Post by ntxdave » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:06 pm

Nice improvements. You are off to a good start. :gj:

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:09 pm

Well, GracjanaK - I don't know if it is a testament to Twilight Render, or just your raw talent, but it's looking GREAT! :rspkt: (WAY better than my first renderings) :oops: :D

So, the only thing I would say is the lights on the ceiling are distracting. Place the light object up inside of the can... they are currently below the can - and this is causing light to shine up around the can light fixtures, and not look right.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (17.04 KiB) Viewed 9478 times
Also - any white in your scene - make it 85% grey - and tone down all saturation accordingly, minimum -10% to be more realistic and reduce chances of artifacts and to get better render times (reducing error correction of the render engine). Same with Blacks - make sure they are not too dark. All colors and textures used in sketchup should basically be what you should see if it was held under the soft clean light of a pure grey overcast day. So if the sun is shining it has "room" to brighten with the sunlight and if it's in shadow it has "room" to darken from the shadow or shade.
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (30.93 KiB) Viewed 9476 times
increasing number of lights is going to increase render times, but also, on Easy09 I would have expected a possibility for the render time to drop as more direct lighting is added. However, it's a little of this, a little of that, maybe overall leading to increased render time with increased light objects.

Subject: Can Light and 2x2 or 2x4 Standard Ceilight Light Components
see also:
Subject: Puck Light (LED display can) in Glass Display
Subject: Wall Art Light
Subject: 5 IES Spotlight effects (including SU model and IES files)
Subject: Candle in a glass
Subject: Bedroom scene
Subject: Street Light or Streetlamp - Glowing Light

GracjanaK

Post by GracjanaK » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:27 pm

Thanks Fletch but I am sure it's the software and how easy it is to use lol :D

I was wondering about those lights and will adjust it as per your advise :)

I had no idea about all of those "colour rules". I will try to play with it a bit and see how will it affect the scene. Such a good advice.

Thank you so much for your help! I learnt a lot :!: