slow render time

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Crexroad
SketchUp: Pro 2020

slow render time

Post by Crexroad » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:16 pm

Hi all,
I am new here, new to Sketchup and new to Twilight. Diving into it head first, but hit a snag. This is probably a very common question.
My render times are insanely slow. Estimated to go over 12 hours. I got rid of my textured wall paper, making my walls a flat magenta color, and made sure that my lights were not inside any geometry of any kind. Does anyone have any tips on why my drawing may be taking a crazy long time to render?

Thank you,
Chris
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.10.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.10.21 AM.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 6061 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: slow render time

Post by Fletch » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi Crexroad,
If you are referring to the estimated render time when rendering with a progressive render setting like Easy 09 (recommended for interior renderings like this) is determined by the number of estimated passes. But with progressive rendering methods like 08, 09, and 10 the number of passes is arbitrary, as it would render forever until stopped by you. So let it render until you are happy, and stop the rendering.

If you are rendering with Easy 07 and it's giving a high estimate, please try Easy 04, it's shockingly good in most cases and quite quick.

A common newbie mistake is to start with the highest quality method and to expect a magic miracle. But the truth is that Easy 03 may give you very good and very quick results, and then you work your way up as you need.

Please be sure to watch the 6 Essentials to Render in SketchUp with Twilight Render video tutorial series.

Crexroad

Post by Crexroad » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:23 pm

awesome!
Thank you so much for the suggestions. Will try this out now!

Crexroad

Post by Crexroad » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:28 pm

I do have one other question. My renderings seem to be very dark.
Do you have a suggestion for bringing up the overall light in the render? I removed my ceiling while fiddling around with ways to make the rendering brighter, but not sure that really accomplished anything.

Attachments
CrownJewelsRender2.jpg
CrownJewelsRender2.jpg (72.49 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
CrownJewelsRender2.jpg
CrownJewelsRender2.jpg (72.49 KiB) Viewed 6054 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:16 pm

To save yourself a lot of time and headaches - please see our video tutorials and written help pages linked in my signature below.

In the Render Dialog on the bottom right look for "Post-Process:" and increase exposure... just like in a real world camera - when you render an interior you will need to boost exposure.

In my experience the correct Tone Mapping and good post-processing can make or break your image, and correct tone mapping can also save a less-than-exciting rendering.

The order of priority that you need to get right for great renderings is as follows:
  1. Good model (includes vegetation) (make sure ground and walls and roof have thickness, and are built without cracks where light can creep in)
  2. High quality textures/materials
  3. Good lighting (includes sun/sky settings)
  4. Good camera angle (look for dynamic views from your camera and keep the eye level horizontal in order to keep your verticals, well, vertical.)
  5. Correct Render setting (I would try test images for this scene on Easy 02 or 03, and final setting of Easy04+ or for best results using Easy 09 - this is what I use for my final renderings.)
  6. Correct Tone mapping (you must increase exposure, play with Tone Map settings in the Render Dialog, search on our forum)
  7. Great Post-processing (aka post-pro) for finishing, adding the polished touches to the image
Attachments
Simple-tone-mapping.jpg
Simple-tone-mapping.jpg (238.69 KiB) Viewed 6050 times