Can't get rid of black squares even with prior suggestions

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
higzbosom

Can't get rid of black squares even with prior suggestions

Post by higzbosom » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:20 pm

Hello, firstly thanks for the Twilight team for creating this. I only just started working with SketchUp a few days ago, and it's been an amazing journey. I am using it to mock up a major home renovation project we are in the middle of now.

I am not trying to create an ultra realistic render, but just something that looks a bit better than SU's view w/ shadows, so that I can share it with my wife and contractor ;)

The problem I am having is that I am getting black squares appearing, and after researching this and trying the previously suggested tips, it is not going away.

Hardware: MacBook Pro 2017, 3.1Ghz Quad-Core i7, 16GB memory, Radeon Pro 560 4GB
Software: SketchUp Pro 2021 Version 21.0.392 (in trial mode), Twilight Render 1.15.1 Hobby edition

What I've tried to resolve it (and didn't work):
  • Reducing threads from "max" to 3, 2 and even 1. Problem persists although it does improve a little with lower threads, but still persists over certain materials.
  • I also tried removing some (but not all) 3d warehouse models... the ones more complicated. The models don't have deeply nested groups upon inspection.
  • I increased resolution to 4491x2160. Helped a bit but did not resolve.
  • Tried making all materials Flat. This helped quite a bit in certain areas, such as the concrete, but it still persisted. The problem was especially bad over concrete with material set to polished concrete, or the rock wall set to "stone natural. There was also an interior wall seen through window with "paint - gloss" which create many black squares.
  • Tried different environment settings. Mainly physical sky, and spherical sky. I've tried different times of day for shadows, different brightness and sun strengths. It has no effect.
  • Tried different render settings. From Easy 02 to Easy 08. Different results, but nothing resolved completely.
  • Made sure no faces were reversed. I had some that needed fixing, but this had no impact.
  • Made sure glass was "architectural glass, Common" with white color and Alpha 0. The windows are fine, but the deck railing is not.

It seems like I have to make everything flat in order to mostly get rid of this problem, which is a shame, but even that does not fix the glass of the deck. Oddly, the windows in the house use the same material. Maybe related to the glass deck railing wrapping around, and from the cameras view you are looking through multiple layers of it?

Below is the most successful attempt using Easy 02, 1 thread, and setting most materials to Flat, and hiding some 3d warehouse objects (such as front door, and the bench - the plants are still visible however).
render-issue-02Low-hidden3dwarehouse.jpg
render-issue-02Low-hidden3dwarehouse.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 5360 times

Here is an example of a much worse output. I believe this was using Easy 02 with 3 threads, and different materials for rock and concrete etc. It also used spherical sky, and the sun is at a position that casts shadows through the wood slats.
render-issue-02Low.jpg
render-issue-02Low.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 5360 times

For reference, here is my monochrome model showing no reverse faces (at first I had some, but fixing them didn't resolve this issue).
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 11.25.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 11.25.03 AM.png (811.34 KiB) Viewed 5360 times

To me, it looks like the wood siding is somehow doing something weird on the glass railing, but I'm not sure why. The siding uses a Flat material as well.

What else should I try? I would be happy to buy the Pro version even know I am in no way a Pro, but I have to first resolve this issue and understand what's causing it so I can avoid in the future.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Can't get rid of black squares even with prior suggestions

Post by Chris » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:41 pm

Weird for sure. What lights do you have in the scene? Also, set the Post-Pro to None just to rule out any issues there.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:36 pm

:welcome:
To expedite diagnosis please share link to file for testing.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:58 pm

the near-black shadows in the example of a bad render are strange.
Maybe try opening a completely new clean scene, and copy-paste the geometry into the new scene so that you have everything reset to default for Twilight Settings and render that to see if the squares go away.
Easy09 should never show these squares, so please also try with Easy09 render setting.