Hello and advise me on a PC build for 3d art

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Captaineasy

Hello and advise me on a PC build for 3d art

Post by Captaineasy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:29 pm

Hi my name is Max,

im a 2d artist trained in traditional painting and drawing. Prior to the pandemic I was teaching art in my hometown of Montreal.

Over the past year ive been learning digital art. The direction I want to take my career is entertainment design for movies or story boarding.

These days it seems its really essential for concept artists to have some 3d skills, having messed around with sketchup as a kid I decided to return to it and have been encouraged seeing masterworks by guys like Chris Rosewarne using it for films.

I am also learning blender as well and while I enjoy it and see its value in some areas, its so much slower to do simple things than sketchup that I dont see myself using it more than 20% of the time.

Ive settled on Twilight render pro for my sketchup renderings....because well....ive got myself hooked on the free version and I really like what Ive gotten out of it. Ultimately im a 2d artist and anything I build and render in 3d im going to paint on top of in photoshop anyways.

What has come to my attention is how under powered my PC is for rendering. Its a fairly modest gaming PC. Ive never felt the need to dump alot of money on my computer but as far as my career goes its a business expense so now im looking to invest whats right to get the good results.

I have a ryzen machine with a 2700x , rx570 and 16bg ram.

im considering a Lenovo p620 workstation with a 12 core threadripper and 64gb of ram.

The ram might seem overkill but I am also considering this PC for Vr and adobe medium. I have a long experience with traditional clay sculpting and its something id like to be able to do in VR. From what I have seen with medium users is that the program is paging like 50-60gb even on simple sculpts to their SSD while working. Alot of people have complained that 16gb is not enough for such a heavy voxel program.

any suggestions on a good PC build ?? (an integrated workstation from a name brand is actually better for me because its easier to run through my business for tax purposes)

Please check out some of my recent art works done in photoshop and a few quick things Ive done in sketchup and rendered with the free version of twilight

any advice will be much appreciated
Attachments
dragon city revision.jpg
dragon city revision.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 5417 times
figurestudies 2.jpg
figurestudies 2.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 5417 times
hovercraft1.jpg
hovercraft1.jpg (146.51 KiB) Viewed 5417 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Hello and advise me on a PC build for 3d art

Post by Fletch » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:50 am

See some of the more recent machines people have posted specs for in our "How Fast Are You" speed thread here.

What you will want for very fast and beautiful results is to render with a machine with many threads - 8 would be my starter kit suggestion - but 12 or more threads is nice (lastest Core i7 or i9 9th generations). 64 threads or more would be ideal. 16GB-128GB RAM. (remember you asked for recommended, this is not the minimum requirement, obviously.)

A recent NVIDIA RTX graphics card with at least 2GB Video RAM, the more RAM and VRAM the better. and you must use the FastForward denoise addon for Twilight Render. It cuts unbiased (Easy 08/09) render times by half or even more. This means that with 32-64 threads you would be getting clean renders at FullHD resolution in a few minutes. (I regularly get clean 1080x1080 images from Easy09 with Fastforward denoise in 1-3 minutes on simpler scenes) (just a guess, as depends on scene-to-scene) I almost always render with 08 for exteriors (2 light sources or less) and 09 for all other scenes.

This helps you see the power of Fastforward denoise addon, and also to use the ACES post process button.

Captaineasy

Post by Captaineasy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:35 pm

Thanks for the reply, I will def take your advise.

it seems like the lenovo machine with the threadripper will meet those specs. I had not considered the de-noiser addon, im very new to rendering so I will def buy that as well.

1-3 minute renders would be ideal for me because im finding myself setting up a scene and rendering it about 10-20 times while I tweak light and small things to get it to the ideal level for my paint over.

M

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:26 pm

Threadripper is great. :^: