Make architectural glass more transparent?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
arleoniti

Make architectural glass more transparent?

Post by arleoniti » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:28 am

Hi
I'd like my windows more transparent, so I can see more of what's going on outside the windows. Can anyone help me? Have a look at the attached file. I like the look of the architectural/translucent glass with sky reflections, but I can't figure out how to make these windows "less dark". This scene is mid day sunshine but it looks like evening or like there's a tint/sun protection film on the windows.
• Lowering the alpha % of the texture seems to do the trick within Sketchup, but as soon as I go rendering there's no difference between 50% alpha and 0% alpha... So no luck there.
• I've tried boosting the sky/sun/exterior brightness but that only makes the very lightest parts of the exterior shine, the rest is unaffected.
• Never mind lighting and realism for this one – I basically just want to see more of the exterior/garden through the windows.
• I'm using Sketchup on a Mac with Twilight Render V2

I'm pretty new to this so go easy on me :)
Attachments
Test.png
Test.png (751.07 KiB) Viewed 6965 times

tuna57
SketchUp: SU 2015Pro SU2018Pro

Re: Make architectural glass more transparent?

Post by tuna57 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:25 pm

Going out on a limb here but I don't think the SketchUp "Translucent Glass with Sky Reflections" is a good choice for interior renders. First suggestion would be to repaint the glass with "Translucent Glass Grey" and give that a try. Second question are your windows single "panes" with no thickness. If so you want to use the Twilight "Architectural Glass-Common" material template. There are some "work arounds" for this in the Twilight Material Editor window so you wouldn't have to "repaint" the windows but as you've said you're a new user so I'm trying to keep it pretty straight forward.
TwilightPro V2.11

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:25 pm

arleoniti wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:28 am Hi
I'd like my windows more transparent, so I can see more of what's going on outside the windows. Can anyone help me? Have a look at the attached file. I like the look of the architectural/translucent glass with sky reflections, but I can't figure out how to make these windows "less dark". This scene is mid day sunshine but it looks like evening or like there's a tint/sun protection film on the windows.
• Lowering the alpha % of the texture seems to do the trick within Sketchup, but as soon as I go rendering there's no difference between 50% alpha and 0% alpha... So no luck there.
• I've tried boosting the sky/sun/exterior brightness but that only makes the very lightest parts of the exterior shine, the rest is unaffected.
• Never mind lighting and realism for this one – I basically just want to see more of the exterior/garden through the windows.
• I'm using Sketchup on a Mac with Twilight Render V2

I'm pretty new to this so go easy on me :)
Use "Templates>Architectural Glass Common" and use a single pane/face of glass. Set "color" to White, Alpha 0.00
Attachments
WindowGlass.png
WindowGlass.png (280.87 KiB) Viewed 6938 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:02 pm

animation demonstrating common window glass - and common problems with windows.
Attachments
Common-Window-Glass.gif
Common-Window-Glass.gif (5.05 MiB) Viewed 6936 times

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:05 pm

One additional suggestion. If you want to reduce the amount of reflection from the Architectural Glass, reduce the IOR value. I think by default it is 1.52, so try 1.2, 1.1. Just don't go below 1.0. At 1.0 I would expect it to completely disappear, no reflection.