Emitters turning white

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Ferdinand192

Emitters turning white

Post by Ferdinand192 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:32 pm

Hey guys. I am new to this forum. Litterally 10 minutes now. And i searched for "emitter turns white" but it is like i am the only person who has this problem. Hahahaha. The thing is this. I create a false emitter. It should "emit" a yellow RGB 255, 249, 168 colour. And i get it to work. Then i place it in a closet and all of a sudden the darn thing turns white. I have no idea why. I added a picture of how it should look like. It is exactly the same spotlight with a built in false emitter. But only placed in another construction. I also added a correct and incorrect jpeg to show you what i mean. The render isn't super quality because i only wanted to show the difference. I also added a screenshot of the settings. Now.......where am i being the noob here? Because i have no idea.

Greetz, Ferdinand
Attachments
Correct.jpg
Correct.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 6308 times
Incorrect.jpg
Incorrect.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 6308 times
Settings.jpg
Settings.jpg (472.23 KiB) Viewed 6308 times

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Emitters turning white

Post by Chris » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:29 am

There are two thoughts:
The first is exposure. Just like in film photography, when you increase the exposure you risk burning out part of the image (areas that are over-exposed and thus completely white). Did you adjust your exposure? You might want to try some of the post-production options to reduce over-exposure.
The second is that, based on your image, you are using one of the Interior render presets. If so, please note that nothing is 'fake' when using those presets. Fake emitters actually become real emitters because the underlying render method doesn't support the fake shortcuts.

In either case, you might be able to improve the color by dramatically reducing the intensity of the emitter.

Ferdinand192

Post by Ferdinand192 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:00 pm

Ow. Lmao. I never knew that false emitters didn't exist in that kinda render. But i use that render because it all comes out awesome given enough time. Takes a bit (a loooooot) of patience, but the results are worth it. Haha. Anyway, i never knew there were post-production options. I'll check those. Still, it is funny tho that the exact same spots don't work in one location while they do work in the other. Haha. Came over rather illogical to me. But yeah, i am all new to this, so i will fiddle around with that. Thanks a lot Chris for your answer. I hope i can solve the problem with your suggestions. :halo:

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:52 pm

Twilight Render supports multiple different render methods. Primarily these are divided into biased (Low - High) and unbiased (Interior). The biased methods take advantage of a variety of approximations and shortcuts to reduce render time. But the results is not quite as realistic and there are some limitations (such as with emitter materials). The unbiased methods are much more realistic but are slower. Because it uses a more realistic mechanism, it doesn't support fake emitters (or turning of shadows and a couple other things). I also prefer the unbiased Interior method.

That the color of the light is different probably has to do with the overall amount of light in the scene. It is possible that if you left both renders running for a very very long time they would end up with the same color but I can't say that for sure. Obviously the easiest way is to reduce the intensity of the emitter color or play around with the post-pro settings.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:31 am