Denoiser failed to initialize (after several hundred renders)

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
alexishungry
SketchUp: SketchUp Pro 2020

Denoiser failed to initialize (after several hundred renders)

Post by alexishungry » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:00 pm

Hi there! I'm getting a strange but consistent issue with the Denoiser add-on. Wondering if anyone else has encountered this, or if the devs have any ideas :)

I'm running thousands of renders consecutively (to get images for several furnishing models, each with several available variations in color, etc). For each model configuration, I'm rendering 4 passes with the Interior Progressive preset, Capturing the image, then de-noising using the CPU-based method (I am using an AMD-based machine).

All goes smoothly until after several hundred renders—seems to consistently be around 1,700—then the Denoiser add-on "fails to initialize." At this point, the "Denoise Render" button in the Capture window is still there, but clicking on it does nothing. No "denoising, please wait..." message, no reaction from the window at all. Tried restarting SketchUp but the issue persists. The only way I've been able to fix this is by restarting the computer.

Anyone have ideas what could be the cause, or where to even begin to figure this out?

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Denoiser failed to initialize (after several hundred renders)

Post by Chris » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:24 pm

Typically this kind of thing would be a memory issue. Usually with memory issues, it can be resolved by restarting the application (which should release all of the allocated memory). So it is surprising that restarting SketchUp doesn't fix the problem.

Running 1,700 consecutive images is definitely an extreme use case. Things don't always make sense when you get into the wilderness of computing. :lol:

A couple things to look at.
- When the issue happens, open your task manager and look at your RAM usage, and how much free RAM you have (both before shutting down SketchUp and after).
- After shutting down SketchUp, check the task manager to see if SketchUp is still open. It probably won't be listed under "Apps" but might be found under "Background Processes". If it's still running, that probably means the denoising thread didn't shutdown correctly and is still running. You can kill it manually by selecting the SketchUp process and choosing "End Task". That might free up the system to start running the Denoiser again.

alexishungry
SketchUp: SketchUp Pro 2020

Re: Denoiser failed to initialize (after several hundred renders)

Post by alexishungry » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:47 am

Chris, thanks for the suggestions. It definitely was a memory runaway issue. Turns out each instance of SketchUp was leaving behind a residual "SketchupWebhelper" process. Eventually all the memory was eaten up!

Testing the solution now. All looks good in task manager. If the issue happens to arise again after several hundred renders, I may be posting a reply asking for your input again. But I think that was the culprit. Thanks again. :D

-Alex