It's all about deadlines...

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
jo-ke
SketchUp: 2021pro

It's all about deadlines...

Post by jo-ke » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:50 pm

I don't know why, but since some months it is neraly impossible to work at my PC and Notebook while twilight is rendering.

sometimes I have to "pause" the render to get my work done. This is really a timekiller.

Otherwise the external rendering at Kerkthea isn't working anymore. I used to export some render-xml and load it on older PCs to get the render done in Kerkythea. In the meentime, I was able to go on with modelling.
that was a good solution. I used that a lot. I was also able to go on modelling, while Kerkythea was rendering.

Unfortunatly at the moment rendering with twilight is knocking me out of work.
I urgently need a solution for that, because I have many renderings to do.

Is there any plan to solve this?

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: It's all about deadlines...

Post by Chris » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:02 pm

Have you tried reducing the number of threads that you render with? If it's at maximum CPU usage, it probably does slow down other applications. But if you cut that to maybe half, I would think it would still be quite usable.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:16 pm

That's very frustrating, Jo-ke, sorry to hear of this problem.

Agreed with Chris - reduce threads by one, so if you have 8 threads, render with 7. But also, if you are rendering with denoise enabled, disable it. I find that rendering with denoise enabled slows it down a little.

It's strange that you have not had this problem before and only recently it's happening. Are you working with a different pc or is it possible something in your pc is broken?

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:25 am

During rendering, if you open Windows Task Manager choose the working process for Twilight Render and right-click and set to lowest priority.

jo-ke

Post by jo-ke » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:14 am

can't find Twilight render but Sketchup has 90%.

Maybe I have to chose this...

jo-ke

Post by jo-ke » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:20 am

Any chance of a standalone version to render jobs on severals machines? Like it was with Kerkythea.

I get more and more renderjobs, Panos in high res, and my customers have to wait until I am finished with renderings,

Both worksstations are rendering day and night but I am to slow.

jo-ke

Post by jo-ke » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:25 am

no solution here?

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:28 pm

Twilight Render will run under SketchUp, yes. So in the Task Manager it will be included in SketchUp's usage. If you want to set the priority for the SketchUp process, you have to click on Details in the Task Manager and find the SketchUp entry.

But the best way is really going to be to reduce the render threads.

A standalone version would be great but we do not currently have that available. And it would take quite a while to develop. Honestly though, I'm not sure you would see much improvement in overall responsiveness with a standalone vs SketchUp running Twilight Render.

When you are rendering, minimize Twilight Render and SketchUp. This will reduce how frequently Twilight Render updates its image display and that will save you time. Also, turn post processing off, and only turn it on when you are done or periodically to check the progress. Some of the post-processing features are quite CPU heavy.

jo-ke

Post by jo-ke » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:10 pm

Ok, thank you.