Smooth vs sharp edges?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
bjornkn
SketchUp: 8 Pro

Re: Smooth vs sharp edges?

Post by bjornkn » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Fletch wrote: Also, another workaround, right-clicking the group and choosing to convert it to a component also fixed the issue. However, that only works for the first time you encounter the issue. After that, the component would need to be exploded and turned into a group. Which, again, takes only a few seconds and is not labor intensive. But if the mesh is particularly complex, then exploding a group can take a very long time indeed, and it is of course only a workaround. :hat:
You know with my old and slow machine it may take a couple of hours into an Easy 09-render until I notice ;)

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:43 pm

:doh: I always render very small previews on prelim render setting. :shh:

bjornkn
SketchUp: 8 Pro

Post by bjornkn » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:15 pm

Yes, but with very small prelims you don't see that some of the objects are faceted, because then they're too small.
A partial render frame/region would help a lot here.
Then you could select particular areas of your scene at full size to see if there will be any problems there.
Now we need to move the camera back and forth, which also works, although it's a bit tedious..

bizmen
SketchUp: 8 pro

Post by bizmen » Mon May 02, 2011 6:25 am

This is a very informative thread. Never thought that you will get faceted rendered of smooth geometry while a group or component is still active, until I tested it.
I wonder if Kerkythea and Thea has the same output?
Anyways, Thank you guys for bringing up this thread.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon May 02, 2011 7:26 pm

The issues doesn't exist for those programs mentioned, because with the others you can't have a group open and simultaneously render. :lol: