Importing materials from other .SKP files - HELP!

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
SirOwnzor

Importing materials from other .SKP files - HELP!

Post by SirOwnzor » Sat May 14, 2011 4:01 pm

So, I have this building, and I already finished applying the textures and editing its materials via the Twilight Material Editor.

I also have a car in a separate .SKP file, and I also had its materials done using Twilight Material Editor.

But when I import the car onto the building, the materials of the car are gone. I have to apply the materials onto the car again.

What do I do so that the materials I put on the car are still applied on it when I import it onto the building .SKP?

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Importing materials from other .SKP files - HELP!

Post by Fletch » Sun May 15, 2011 12:27 am

:welcome: SirOwnzor
If a material in the scene with the building has the same exact name as the material in the car scene.
Then when importing the car scene into the building scene, they car's materials will match those of the building.
Make sure to name all materials in scenes such as a car to be completely unique.

If that's not that case, then please post the scenes if you can so that we can take a look and see what's wrong.

SirOwnzor

Post by SirOwnzor » Mon May 16, 2011 3:27 am

Nevermind, I just figured this out myself. Here's what I did:

I created a new folder somewhere.
I went to the building's render window and exported the scene to Kerkythea XML to the folder I created.
I went to the car's render window and exported the scene to Kerkythea XML to the same folder.
I moved BOTH the building .SKP and the car .SKP to the folder.
I deleted the .XML files in the folder.
I opened the building .SKP and imported the car .SKP onto it.
I rendered the model and it worked. The car's materials were still there when I imported it.

But thanks anyway, though. :)

bizmen
SketchUp: 8 pro

Post by bizmen » Tue May 17, 2011 10:33 am

SirOwnzor wrote:Nevermind, I just figured this out myself. Here's what I did:

I created a new folder somewhere.
I went to the building's render window and exported the scene to Kerkythea XML to the folder I created.
I went to the car's render window and exported the scene to Kerkythea XML to the same folder.
I moved BOTH the building .SKP and the car .SKP to the folder.
I deleted the .XML files in the folder.
I opened the building .SKP and imported the car .SKP onto it.
I rendered the model and it worked. The car's materials were still there when I imported it.

But thanks anyway, though. :)
Hi Sirownzor,
Which Twilight version are you using? I thought exporting to xml format don't work on the demo version.