Cannot get the sunlight to pass through

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
bizmen
SketchUp: 8 pro

Cannot get the sunlight to pass through

Post by bizmen » Thu May 26, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi, I cannot get the sunlight to pass through a window glass. The glass have 1cm thickness and I applied architectural realistic common glass to it, having the default parameters except the color which I want to have it light gray.
In the attached export skp image you will see that it has a shadow, I tried to render it using easy 9 or even 10 but the shadow is not showing so I stopped the rendering.
I even tried to increase the sky brightness and sun intensity from the default values to gain sunlight inside the room, but shows nothing. Does it have to do with the Google Sketchup I'm using? coz I'm using the free version 8.
What steps did I missed? :( Thanks and looking forward for the help of generous TWR members. :D :D

oh by the way, what causes the image of the trees outside the windows to have different results from the 2 images?.
myroom.jpg
myroom.jpg (278.44 KiB) Viewed 7967 times
My model skp export.jpg
My model skp export.jpg (54.85 KiB) Viewed 7962 times
settings used.jpg
settings used.jpg (242.94 KiB) Viewed 7963 times
link to the model:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/gr6cgb

massimo
SketchUp: 7.1 pro

Re: Cannot get the sunlight to pass through

Post by massimo » Thu May 26, 2011 12:54 pm

For windows glass is always better using a single face with no thickness and with architectural glass-->noshadow template which is a thin glass with IOR=1,52. Also for a common glass i would put a pure white in the color slot.
You can also use sky portals in order to "force" the sun light to pass through your window only. ;)
P.S. I don't have SU8 so i can't have a look to your model.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu May 26, 2011 3:23 pm

yes, for your window glass use "Architectural Glass>Common>No Shadow" material template. Then change opacity to zero.

For long explanation,
Subject: Strange difference between renders
Subject: Light Through a Window

bizmen
SketchUp: 8 pro

Post by bizmen » Fri May 27, 2011 5:07 am

Thank you guys, will definitely try these approach later. :)

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri May 27, 2011 2:40 pm

by the way - the reason for the difference between the background image seen through the window, and the rendering is because of the refraction through the realistic glass material used in the window. The glass recommended above will fix both issues at once. ;)
see this also:
Subject: What's the deal...