Need help. Glass plate with LEDs

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
niX1990

Re: Need help. Glass plate with LEDs

Post by niX1990 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:25 am

Hello Fletch,

it looks amazing. Thats just what I was looking for. The idea with the shell is also great. I am new to rendering and still focus
on building accurate models. Hopefully I will get a feeling for the balance between accurate models/good render and almost accurate models/awesome render.
The shell doesnt really change the appearance of the model in SU but improves the render very much.

As for the normal, you were right. I didnt pay much attention to "normal" in your first reply because english is not my first english and
i didnt realize that you meant the face direction.
Now that I reversed the face it works like a charm and i feel a little dumb that I didnt realize that by myself.

Just copying the model that works was also on my mind but in the end it is very little use if I do not understand how to do it.

Once again I want to thank you for the amazing support and taking the time to help me (even though it was a dumb beginner problem with the normal)

Its good to know that there is a place where you can seek great advice. I think I will b e very happy with Twilight Render.

Best regards
niX.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:38 pm

Here, it's even more simple, try the Realistic Glass>Plexiglass Template on the 5 visible sides of glass, then the bottom face as emitter facing into the glass block.
be sure the emitter does not touch the floor/share 3D space with the floor, because the floor can block the light.
Attachments
Test_PlexiGlass_LED_TWLsupport.skp
(110.58 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
LED-Glass-Plexiglass-Railing-Easy09.jpg
LED-Glass-Plexiglass-Railing-Easy09.jpg (22 KiB) Viewed 6991 times

niX1990

Post by niX1990 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:14 pm

I didnt think it could get any better, but this seems to be perfect.
The "round" edges are pretty nice. I think they add to the realism because the light hits those edges even at the top of the glass pane.

The handrailing looks very promising too. I was thinking about a way to stabilize the panes in the next step and I think a handrail in
a similiar manner like you did it would work pretty well for the design.

You are really fast. Whenever I get a little step done I look at this thread and see that you have completed the next 3 steps already :D
But I am sure that I am going to pick up speed soon as I learn more about TwilightRender.

The tip with the emitter not touching the floor is very valuable. I didnt notice that before, but the floor did in fact block some light in my model.
Thanks!

Best regards
niX.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:03 pm

:hat: glad to help.
This will render best with Easy09, best-looking, and likely fastest-rendering.
Light emitters and this type of glass material render quite slowly with biased render methods. But feel free to experiment. Be sure to use the Easy 1-7 settings you see with the + signs... this means the settings contain some "extras" in them that will aid in calculating some materials like caustics, etc.
See the Tips and Tricks master list for a full list of topics and you will find more about this.

kenancakir
SketchUp: SU8

Post by kenancakir » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:43 pm

Nice work.. May i use this model in my works? (I draw just for hobby)

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:58 pm

It is free for any use. :hat: