Twilight Render "vs." Thea

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Twilight Render "vs." Thea

Post by Fletch » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:33 pm

The Twilight "physical sky" - default sky in Twilight- gives some color to the scene. If this color is not desired, you can modify the warmth of the scene in the Render Dialog window using the Post-process>Temperature Adjust. Leave the default of 6500 and set the NEW to 6700 to warm up the image.

If you do not want the physical sky, set the sky color to a light grey and it will give a nice "light dome" effect.
Do not use "background color" as a sky type as this does not contribute light or reflections to your scene.

Best and fastest way to get started with Twilight Render is to follow the great and helpful links in my signature. :hat: I recommend the videos first.

Turner

Post by Turner » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanks Fletch -

Great info.

Videos: Will do.

cheers
Andrew

Turner

Post by Turner » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:05 am

Oh by the way - finally bought the paid version : ) ........ just re-read this post and noticed -

You said "Leave the default of 6500 and set the NEW to 6700 to warm up the image."

That didn't strike me until I re-read it; I'm sure I'll find the reference as I go through the learning materials, but that's the opposite of what's typically considered to be how light and color work (color temperature). IE the lower the number, the -warmer- the temperature, or, the color:

Not sure how I missed this before as I work for a lighting manufacturer ;)

Again, it may just be how it's represented in Twilight. I'd vote for a reconsideration, though.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:33 pm

:welcome: Turner

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:58 pm

It is backward. :lol:

Technically, it's not actually backward. It has to do with what the actual "real-life" scene temperature really is vs what it appears to be. Here is the explanation from our Tutorial on Post-Production: http://www.twilightrender.com/index.php ... utorial-v2
Tutorial wrote: Temperature Adjustment refers to adjusting the colors of an image to make it more blue or more orange, commonly called 'Colder' or 'Warmer'. Adjusting the temperature of an image is particularly useful to remove unnatural or unwanted color casts, like the blue in outdoor images, or the yellow from flourescent lights.
  • Temperature Adjustment is enabled by clicking the checkbox next to Temperature Adjust.
  • 'Original' refers to the estimated actual temperature of the lighting in the image (what it is in the real world/ what you expect it to be).
  • 'New' refers to what the temperature of the lighting in the image appears to be.
While this sounds a little confusing, in practice it's pretty easy.
  • Decide what temperature the image should have been ('Original'). Warmer (orange) temperatures start at 1000 and go up to 5000; Cooler (blue) temperatures run from 10,000 to 7000.
    • Should your image have been taken under a clear sky? That's about 6500K
    • Was your image in a room under Flourescent lights? That's about 4500K
    • Was it a cloudy, overcast day? That's about 9000K
  • Decide what temperature the image appears to be ('New'). This can be a little tough, so some trials are probably going to be necessary. Play around until you get the right tone.
    Twilight Render's Physical Sky type tends to render with a Cooler (bluish) cast. Determine what your intended color temperature was (6500 for a clear day) and use that as your 'Original' temperature, then set the 'New' temperature to 8000 (roughly what Physical Sky renders at).
When 'New' is less than 'Original', your image will be Cooler (more blue). When 'New' is greater than 'Original' your image will be warmer.
So you can see, it's not actually about going from Temperature A to Temperature B. It's about what it should be ("Original") and what it appears to be ("New"). Really we just need to rename those to be "Expected" and "Rendered" or something like that.

derei
SketchUp: 2015 x64

Post by derei » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:07 am

I still fell like is "backward" myself.
So, I set a NEW temperature that is higher, and the image becomes WARMER?
Let's say I have a image that is 6000K (estimated).
I adjust NEW to 7500K
The ADJUSTED image will be now 7500K but it will look warmer (like I lowered the color temperature)??

I think a clearer explanation is needed.
Thank you.
ARTIST AND DESIGNER DEREI.UK