How to speed up render time

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: How to speed up render time

Post by Chris » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:30 pm

masloprojekt wrote: ...so i had to misunderstood sth. Now it is clear. But still using render the current selection only work as hiding the rest of the model ? There are some neat selection managers out there, which i'm using.
Generally, yes this should work just fine.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:15 am

Hi Maslo,
In Sketchup's Scene Manager you can set a scene to remember either hidden geometry or the state of visibility of your layers. This is how you should tell Twilight what to render, not by using selection tools. Twilight uses the info controlled by SketchUp's Scene Manager to process the scene, not info from 3rd party plugins.

"Rendered Selected object Only" is a tool for doing quick test rendering or a quick alpha mask render without needing to turn off layers or hide objects while one is doing test rendering.

It appears that you are trying to suggest that we make a feature for Twilight that is not only already there in a different tool but also going to be likely more confusing for people to use as well as it would be dependant on 3rd party plugins. It is not clear how your suggestion would improve upon how Twilight Render already works. Twilight Render is not intended to work with other plugins such as "selection tools". The only understandable exception being 3rd party animation tools such as Sketchy Physics... since these plugins are animating the geometry.

masloprojekt
SketchUp: 2018

Post by masloprojekt » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:48 pm

Thanks Fletch ! Ok, understood, just trying to figure out how to manage model best. Since i've started to use SKP as my primary CAD software and utilizing Layout to prepare technical drawings, all my idea of organizing groups, components and views changed. Needless to say it's quite a big thing to switch from rather messy organization (what i've done erlier) to maintain everything properly (you need lots of layers and views if u want to make nice technical drawings in layout) and then adding to all those layers even more, for example to separate only bathroom makes it even more complicated. That is why i've asked about it first. As everyone i want to achieve best results with less effort. So this is what i had on my mind, i would never consciously suggest sth what could confuse other users, although SKP is BIG and there is lots of way to use it. Still trying to find my own way.

Greetings from Poland ! Hope you understand my english :oops:

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:55 pm

:^:

rudy970
SketchUp: 2015 Make

Post by rudy970 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:41 pm

Thanks for all the tips and feedback.

I had a sign that was set as an emitter. As soon as I made it a 'fake emitter' the rendering took a tiny fraction of the time! Huge help. I also reduced some geometry by hiding, but I think the emitter did the trick.

Thanks again!

:gj: