Troubleshooting Light Settings

The Twilight Render Team shares tips, ideas, helpful hints, and more on using Twilight Render
shaunvr.sa
SketchUp: 2020

Troubleshooting Light Settings

Post by shaunvr.sa » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:58 pm

Hey there,

I've been working on this particular model for a while now, and am having some issues with my light fitting :roll: (I can imagine how tired everyone might be of light fitting problems by now :lol: ).

I've tried a few different variants of the Template Materials for the flat pendants, but through each render, I still end up with dark spots or some sort of abnormality. I have added Spot Lights to almost all of the pendants (read on a previous post that it wasn't necessary to have multiple spots on multiple pendants of the same fitting :! I could be wrong here).

If anyone could give some guidance, that would be great!

Thanks in advance! :whoot:
Attachments
Rendered on Easy 02 for quick view
Rendered on Easy 02 for quick view
Internal View 3 draft 1.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 7681 times
Also have no clue what that dark triangular spot is on the right corner of the counter
Also have no clue what that dark triangular spot is on the right corner of the counter
Internal View 1 draft 3.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 7681 times
Kind regards,
Shaun
:dftt:

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Troubleshooting Light Settings

Post by Fletch » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:40 pm

Hi Shaun,
If each end of those sticks with the round disk is supposed to be like a light emitting surface you can paint the face with any color, and apply a light emitting material template.

Please watch the video tutorials we have made to teach about lighting.

A proper workflow would be to hide everything in the scene that doesn't matter and isolate just the walls, floor and ceiling and work on the light - this will cause test rendering to go much more quickly.

Secondly, I would create a tiny practice box with a single light "stick with disk" part of your light fixture inside and practice lighting it different ways to see what works best for your situation. Trying to render all the lights, geometry, lights, materials, all at once will take a long time and be frustrating and slow.
light-test.skp
(249.79 KiB) Downloaded 646 times
It may be you end up with a light emitting surface to create the "look" of each light being "on" using a "low wattage" default light emitter template, but also you put a point or spot light on the end of each stick/disk to actually cast the light the way you would expect it to work.

Finally, if it's a light from a manufacturer that is known you could perhaps download the .ies light profile and load it into a single spot light positioned beneath the light fixture in space, and the .ies will cast the light that looks realistic, while the light emitter material on the disks does the job of making the disks look like they are "on".
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (278.31 KiB) Viewed 7674 times