Multiple background fit images

The Twilight Render Team shares tips, ideas, helpful hints, and more on using Twilight Render
rparsons

Multiple background fit images

Post by rparsons » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:08 pm

Can anyone let me know if it is possible to use different background fit images in two different scenes. For instance if a take a daytime sky shot pic and darken it in a photo editor to create a night time sky shot pic, can I use these two images to show a transition between two scenes one being daytime using the daytime shot and the other being night time using the darkened night time shot? I hope this makes sense and thank you all in advance.
Ron

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Multiple background fit images

Post by Chris » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:00 pm

You want to make like an animated, blended transition between two scenes with different backgrounds? Unfortunately that isn't possible. Though you can animate all the lighting transitions, it isn't possible to animate the background.

If your viewpoint and model are static, you could probably do something like that in an external application. Render the day and the night shot and then use something (like Photoshop maybe?) to make a blended transition between them.

You *might* be able to create a modeled backdrop (two of them actually), one with day and one with night, and then animate the alpha transparency so one fades out while the other fades in. I don't know for certain that that would work; I'd have to try it.

rparsons

Post by rparsons » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:12 pm

Thank you for your quick response. Yes that is exactly what I want to do. I did not think that it was possible but I thought I would take a chance and put the question to all of you experts who know way more than I do.
Thanks, again, Ron

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:39 am

You can load an animated .gif sequence into the sky slot of the Environment tab.
So if you were to create an animated .gif of the transition you want to see that is the length of the animation you desire to create then you could use that in the sky and render with the Render Animation dialog.
Attachments
gif-sky.png
gif-sky.png (12.88 KiB) Viewed 14437 times

JGA
SketchUp: 2015 pro

Post by JGA » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:09 pm

Clip out the sky from the daytime background, and animate the time of day to create the transition?
You could have some additional faces in the background to create more shadows.
JGA