Realistic Water - Fast - in Twilight Render

The Twilight Render Team shares tips, ideas, helpful hints, and more on using Twilight Render
millermafia

Re: Realistic Water - Fast - in Twilight Render

Post by millermafia » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:59 pm

Thanks for the good info! Can someone assist me in making these shapes render properly? I am doing an outdoor pool/ water feature. I found the attached shapes and I am very excited to use them but they just are not coming out the way I want. I am using version one, setting 08 Exterior Daytime.
Attachments
Cascade 2.skp
(572.6 KiB) Downloaded 914 times
Liquid Screenshot.png
Liquid Screenshot.png (691.21 KiB) Viewed 20104 times

JGA
SketchUp: 2015 pro

Post by JGA » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Try showing your efforts first?
Majids water materials are for still water - I think you need something more "frothy".
I think there is something on this site or the Kerkythea forum for a fountain water material that may suit, but that is just from memory.
JGA

millermafia

Post by millermafia » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:02 pm

I have given up on the shapes and made my own version by creating a profile and using the follow me command and tweaking the realistic glass material. I also switched to present 06 - High
What do you think? I have not pulled the trigger on V2 yet but I am wondering if I am missing out on some new features that might help water scenes a little easier. This is my first scene with water. My boss actually created the model a few years ago, but it was never brought up to a render quality. All I have done is rebuild the pool and rocks/ water and add materials.
The finished version will have a 2nd level to the waterfall.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (259.63 KiB) Viewed 20098 times

JGA
SketchUp: 2015 pro

Post by JGA » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:14 pm

Looks good!
I'm not keen on photoshopped or 2d people, but that's a personal thing.
Perhaps adding a wall or treeline to break the sky/site boundary may help? A difference in levels between the slabs & the shrub borders will add a shadow or two. Even varying the scale & rotation of the shrubs can add some natural variation.
I'm not sure whether v2 will help with water, but the package has definitely moved on in terms of productivity tools to help you get a render out of the door.

Fountain link I was thinking of - http://twilightrender.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 559#p16559
JGA

Sergio

Post by Sergio » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:20 pm

Water and glass are better rendered using progressive engine to get true reflection and refraction of the material, in my own experience.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:02 pm

Water for pools in the sun looks best if you set the water to not cast shadow - and render with Easy08. (Easy09 ignores the "cast shadows" tag)

For water at night.
Subject: Pool at night