My First Render

The Twilight Render Team shares tips, ideas, helpful hints, and more on using Twilight Render
brianmccuk

My First Render

Post by brianmccuk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi,

Im playing about with Twlight and have started the attached image on the demo before I buy. I have been using the exterior lighting preset but I think it looks too strong the lighting. Whats a good setting to use? I havent let it run the full 10000 setting in the exterior option as it is taking ages. Im using a hdr background.

Can anyone also help with a good grass texture or idea on how to create it? Im not sure how to use the fur plugin and if it gives a good result.

Any help will be great.

Thanks,

B
Attachments
TEST2.jpg
TEST2.jpg (279.81 KiB) Viewed 7363 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: My First Render

Post by Fletch » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:06 am

The "10,000" passes is an arbitrary number. You only need to render until the image is as clean from noise as you like. For an 8 thread computer, with Easy 08 render setting, this may be only 100 passes, not 10000, for some machines it may be 500 passes, or something else. The image is ready whenever you feel it's "good enough".

It appears you have changed the default sky and sun settings, and you have inserted a spherical image into the background, but have not set the sky to be "spherical sky" in the Sky Type pull-down setting.

You may be able to compensate for the overly-bright rendering by going to the "Camera" Tab in the Render Dialog and changing the Exposure and Gamma settings. But it's best to set the Sun to power of 4 or 5 and leave it there. Radius of sun around 10, make it bigger if you want softer shadows.

Sun at default power intensity is best. Position sun by using SketchUp's native time of day setting dialog.
Sun shadows render faster and look more realistic if you set the sun radius slider to "10".

Avoid any Sky Type that says "Background" because they do not allow the sky to contribute light to your scene, and the sky will not be reflected in your windows.
Instead try the "Spherical Sky" or in your case it looks like "Hemispherical Sky" type would be best - the Hemisphere is the top half of the sky only.

Read the User Manual linked in my signature to find out more about the Sun and Sky settings and all about what they do.

Check out these great tutorials from the Tips and Tricks Master List in the Tips and Tricks section of this forum:
Subject: Default Sky Setting for Twilight... and speed up SU
Subject: Physical Sky in Twilight Render
Subject: First thing to do to warm up the Sun and Sky
Subject: Soft Shadow Radius for Sun, Spot, Point Lights IN DEPTH
Subject: Bye-Bye Blue Sky

brianmccuk

Post by brianmccuk » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:32 pm

does anyone think im heading in the right direction?

To get my textures photorealistic does this require post processing or is it the quality of my textures?

Comments welcome.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (258.03 KiB) Viewed 7311 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:23 pm

For the brick, you will want to apply one of the Stone Material Templates, and be sure to use a bump map, a specular map can also help.

For the fence, it's clearly a low quality texture you need to create or find a better fence texture.
There's a better fence texture for free in the Basic Tutorial Scene we provide for Twilight.
Basic Tutorials Exterior Model Pool Scene