OS X Mavericks

The Twilight Render Team shares tips, ideas, helpful hints, and more on using Twilight Render
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: OS X Mavericks

Post by Fletch » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:53 pm

Fletch wrote:... 32 bit address space can only access 4Gb. So. please try rendering on Easy 09 and let us know the result.

Subject: 32bit RAM limit
Please read my message carefully. Your OS is allocating MAXIMUM OF 4Gb to 32bit apps (like SU/Twilight). Then of that 4Gb, the OS takes up about 1Gb, leaving 3 or less to the apps... likely something like 2Gb.
Perhaps the new OS uses more of that RAM for itself than the previous OS, resulting in less RAM allowed for the 32bit apps?

Did you try rendering with Easy 09? Does that work? This render setting uses RAM differently, so if it works with Easy 09, you know it is likely the problem I'm mentioning. If not, then it is more likely some other OS-induced issue. It is interesting it renders fine on the old OS, but not on the new OS... Easy 09, besides working with RAM differently also results in higher quality lighting in your image, and should render nicely in a couple hours on your machine. After 60-100 passes it will be client ready on a 8 thread machine. Don't be afraid of the 10000 passes for Easy 09, you stop the rendering when you think it's ready.

Cody

Post by Cody » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:09 am

Fletch wrote:
Fletch wrote:... 32 bit address space can only access 4Gb. So. please try rendering on Easy 09 and let us know the result.

Subject: 32bit RAM limit
Please read my message carefully. Your OS is allocating MAXIMUM OF 4Gb to 32bit apps (like SU/Twilight). Then of that 4Gb, the OS takes up about 1Gb, leaving 3 or less to the apps... likely something like 2Gb.
Fletch - I believe you because you are an expert, but where did you get your sources for that?

Here's my problem, I have moving objects from the object animation plugin and export .png image sequencing. I can't pick 09 for object animation, simply can't do it. If I do not pick the animation presets (usually Low+ or Med+ will do) then my object animation has crazy light flashes (see my prev posts, you helped me fix it by selecting the animation preset)

Maybe this video will will show you the types of animations I do in twilight:

http://vimeo.com/81910213

I'm beating out Maya users on a regular basis with these animations but it is currently taking a nose dive with Mavericks. I know you're not a mac fan fletch, but help a brother out. I can't switch now, I'm in too deep. Now I've got clients out the wazzooo, and my stuff is crashing mid 230 frames in...I'm going crazy.

There is one thing I've noticed, when I have sketchup open on more than one computer, sometimes it crashes...I only have one license. Could that be some of the problem? Would Trimble kick me off if I'm using sketchup on more than one computer? Those bastards?! I was exporting an animation and it crashed. I closed one computer and re-exported and it did not crash. I was wondering if it was a coincidence or if there was a reason for it. Both computers were hooked up to the net.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:21 pm

Agree with frustration, and I do sympathize. Animation looking good!
Not sure of problem. It could also be a hardware problem. (bottleneck between CPU and RAM, or CPU has a bad thread/core.

As far as sources for 32bit vs 64bit, there are many many sources, use your favorite search engine. Also look up "Large Address Aware". Beware the articles get deep and technical.

I know you mentioned that you are animating objects, but in case you do an animation where only the camera is animated, be sure to check the "reuse lighting information" box in the animation rendering settings dialog.

JakeMM

Post by JakeMM » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:05 am

Cody: For your RAM usage, check out Activity Monitor in your Application Folder and then Utilities and see how much it is. I've got 8gb of RAM, but have been quite surprised how much I end up using. For example this screen shot was with not much open on my computer except Sketchup, Finder and Safari. It's showing that Sketchup is currently using 438mb. There's a lot of other processes running, but I really can't see how they quite add up the the 7.83gb total RAM being used. I don't know if it uses the RAM for not very important processes when it's available, and then switches over when the RAM is actually required, or whether it's just needing that much to run!

Also in terms of opening Sketchup Pro (and some other software) on more than one computer, normally when connected to the internet, I'm not able to do this and it will notify me on starting Sketchup. To get around it, I either need to turn WiFi off, or close it on one computer before opening it on the other.

Very cool animations by the way, what plugin do you use to animate them?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-01-13 at 23.56.06.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-13 at 23.56.06.png (10.54 KiB) Viewed 10965 times

Cody

Post by Cody » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:10 pm

thanks. I'll check it out...this is crashing more than when i export on lion...I'm not too happy about it...price out a new macbook pro with nvidia graphics, quad core and 16gb ram...and it crashes more than my personal computer at home...?! Not fun.

keyframe by regular polygon and final cut pro...together, it's pretty righteous.

I'm thinking about running bootcamp - I don't see any advantages to using sketchup in a mac, but I have to have my mac for video editing and such...does anyone see an advantage to using sketchup on a mac anyways?

JakeMM

Post by JakeMM » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:12 pm

Chris did mention in one post that he believes Twilight does render slightly quicker on a Mac. Although Mac's are meant to make great Window's machines with Bootcamp, I'd personally stick with the default operating system. I think it would be the most efficient as the computer was built for it.

As far as I know though, Sketchup is identical on both Windows and Mac with the exception of Sketchup's material editor.

I've only delved into animations once so far, but I've never had Sketchup crash during a render, so there might be other issues at play. What Plugin's do you have installed?

I have had Sketchup crash a few times under Mavericks, but it's always been during the modelling or texturing stage and if I try and hurry things up when it's slowing down. I've never had it crash during rendering, even with 60 hour renders.