Using Kerkythea Material Editor with Twilight

The Twilight Render Team shares tips, ideas, helpful hints, and more on using Twilight Render
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Using Kerkythea Material Editor with Twilight

Post by Fletch » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:03 pm

Solo wrote:Okay I have been playing with every button, knob and option but I cannot recreate the diamond material that is in the library using the Twilight material editor, you ask why do I want to recreate it if it is already there? well because I cannot edit it if I use it from the library, I cannot add tiling bumps or change color, angle of incidence, etc.
I guess that the material editor is limited to the inputs available, as it is meant to be simple and easy, I also assume I will need to learn KT if I want any more advanced materials?
diamond glass.png
diamond glass.png (326.53 KiB) Viewed 25449 times
  1. export scene to XML using the button in the render window.
  2. open scene in Kerkythea
  3. select the name of the material in the list on the left side of the screen
  4. right-click the name and choose "edit material"
this will open the advanced material editor
Here is what "Diamond" will look like (if you are savvy enough to copy the material preview scenes from Twilight's folder into the C:\Program Files\Kerkythea Rendering System\MaterialEditor\Scenes folder):
DiamondGem.jpg
DiamondGem.jpg (61.16 KiB) Viewed 24702 times
Things you will notice about the material:
  1. It involves dispersion.
  2. It involves .nk data file
  3. it involves a reflection color
  4. it involves a refraction color and specific IOR
  5. it involves fresnel attenuation
You now know why you like Twilight Templates. :lol:
Most architects/users of SketchUp do NOT want to even THINK about the dispersion number for Diamond :D (or what the word "dispersion" even means for that matter) (most would say "you want me to insert an EnKay What?!") :?

However, you can ignore all that, and just change the color of the reflection and/or add a bump to it.
In order to add bump to the diamond:
KTMatEditor-AddBumpMap.jpg
KTMatEditor-AddBumpMap.jpg (38.37 KiB) Viewed 24667 times
If you save a material library in Kerkythea, here's a quick video tut. I made to show how to move that library for use with Twilight.

:>: How to Save A "Tweaked" Kerkythea Material Library for use in Twilight. (2Mb)

Hope this helps people learn how to use Twilight with Kerkythea's Material Editor... there's nothing to fear. ;)

notareal

Re: Using Kerkythea Material Editor with Twilight

Post by notareal » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:45 am

If you are using .nk data file, It's good to remember that .nk file contains measured data of material. It will automatically load ior, dispersion, absorbtion and so. No need to worry of those values. KT lets you change some of those values, but if you load .nk file again, those that cannot be changed will reset to values defined in nk file. Usually only what you need or should consider to change is reflection/refraction colour (like if you want to make a specialy coloured diamond).

SVART

Post by SVART » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:22 pm

Am new to rendering - Twilight is quite impressive. I have only new Macs OS V10.13.1 When visiting the Kerkythea website thought I saw somewhere that my above version is not supported. Do I have that right?
Evidently, based on info in this forum and other docs/tutorials Twilight's Deep Editor (TDE) in conjunction with Kerkythea's can dramatically expand opportunities in material development. Also interested K's HDRI images. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:36 pm

Honestly the KT editor is extremely hard to use. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone especially someone new.

The Twilight Render Deep Material Editor is available with TWR Pro. It does not require Kerkythea in any way. It's also very out of date. If you note the date on these posts, they are over 8 years old.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:49 pm

SVART wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:22 pm Also interested K's HDRI images. Any guidance would be very much appreciated.
Any HDRi can be used in Twilight in the Environment Dialog. Please follow the tutorials.