How would you do this light.

Share your materials, models, and resources for Twilight
pbacot
SketchUp: 2019

How would you do this light.

Post by pbacot » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:43 am

How would you set the light value and shade for this light? I have it set a little low as it was mostly decorative for the scene but I was surprised how low I had to set it to keep it from being overwhelmingly bright. How would you set real world parameters without it being too bright? Somehow it didn't seem equivalent to other lights I am using. I even tried an IES setting and that was surprisingly hot-bright. Also I added an emitter for the shade, while starting with a translucent shade default template.
sconce (rasmussen).skp
(42.01 KiB) Downloaded 857 times
Here it is in a test scene:
Cabinet 19-8-16_sideboard.jpg
Cabinet 19-8-16_sideboard.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 17075 times
Just curious. I think it's OK as it is for my purposes. Thanks1

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: How would you do this light.

Post by Fletch » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:07 pm

pbacot wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:43 am How would you set the light value and shade for this light? I have it set a little low as it was mostly decorative for the scene but I was surprised how low I had to set it to keep it from being overwhelmingly bright. How would you set real world parameters without it being too bright? Somehow it didn't seem equivalent to other lights I am using. I even tried an IES setting and that was surprisingly hot-bright. Also I added an emitter for the shade, while starting with a translucent shade default template.sconce (rasmussen).skp

Here it is in a test scene:

Cabinet 19-8-16_sideboard.jpg
Just curious. I think it's OK as it is for my purposes. Thanks1
Subject: Translucent Material comparison

The emitting surface for the lampshade glass works great visually, but it renders very slowly unless you set type of Emitter to "Fake" so that it appears to emit light but does not do so. Then it will render quickly on Easy 1-7. It still emits light with Easy 09 or 10.

pbacot

Post by pbacot » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:22 pm

Thanks. I only remembered that the emitter would not slow down easy 09 , but I guess there is no reason for the shade to emit in this case. I adjusted the shade down and the lights up to get the appearance of the light source behind the shade,
sideboard.png
sideboard.png (5.5 MiB) Viewed 17047 times
Now I guess I need to get some things to put on the shelves! (I don't know what they --owners and ID-- want them for. Maybe it's a modern tokonoma.)

ntxdave
SketchUp: 2020Pro

Post by ntxdave » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:33 pm

Looking good.. :gj:

pbacot

Post by pbacot » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:14 am

Thanks Dave!