How to save material render settings

Share your materials, models, and resources for Twilight
OpulentDesigner

How to save material render settings

Post by OpulentDesigner » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:05 pm

Hello, I have V2 Pro, SU 2021. I wanted to know if it’s possible to set up a material so that when I paint something in SU the template, IOR, bump map etc will automatically be applied. Similar to how some of the default SU materials have the settings saved that way. If possible could you explain how or send me a link to a tutorial.

Thanks

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: How to save material render settings

Post by Chris » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:29 pm

https://www.twilightrender.com/index.ph ... utorial-v2

The basic material tutorial will guide you through the steps for setting up materials in your SU scene.

OpulentDesigner

Post by OpulentDesigner » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:38 pm

I understand how to use the material editor to set up the materials for a scene but what I’m trying to accomplish is to not have to do it every time I apply a material in a new model, especially for the same materials I use over and over. The default sketch up materials load all their settings like preset when applied so I want to be able to do the same for new materials.

Thanks

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:59 pm

Ok, understood.

While it is possible to create your own library of materials in SketchUp, unfortunately SketchUp doesn't retrieve the Twilight Render settings correctly in that case. The only way, currently, is to create a SketchUp scene with your commonly used materials already applied to "placeholder" geometry and use that scene as your starting point when creating a new scene.

OpulentDesigner

Post by OpulentDesigner » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:39 pm

Thank you for the reply. That’s unfortunate as it would make rendering scenes much faster if it Twilight could retrieve the settings on new materials not just stock sketch up materials.
When I select a stock sketch up material and material editor automatically references a folder for bump map and templates, IOR, etc is there a way to find that folder and add my own bump map then change the texture in sketch up so it will render with the new texture and new bump map?

ntxdave
SketchUp: 2020Pro

Post by ntxdave » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:09 pm

You can save each material as a Custom Template by going to Templates>Custom Template and creating a separate material template for material you want to save. Then when you start to render a new model that contains that material it will be available and you can apply it in the new model.

Not on my PC now so can not capture the things correctly to show you.

Chris

Post by Chris » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:21 pm

As Dave mentioned, there is the Custom Templates that allow you to save your own template configurations. But those aren't automatically applied; you still have to choose them for your materials.

There is a folder (and a file) where you could replace the bump maps with your own. It is wherever you have Twilight Render V2 installed (on Windows this should be C:\Program Files\Twilight Render 2) and it is the "AutoTemplates" folder. There is also a file called autotemplate.xml (in that folder). You could (in theory) edit that file to include new entries. The trick will be figuring out what the type and template need to be. You might be able to just copy from an existing entry. I can help out with the type entry:

Flat = 12
Standard (plastic, stone, tile, etc.) = 13
Glass = 14
Architectural Glass = 16

The actual template entry will differ based on what type it is. You might just have to play around to find the one you want (unless you can copy from an existing entry; that would be a lot faster).

Hope that helps.

Caution!! The autotemplates file will be overwritten every time you install a new version of Twilight Render. So you probably want to have it backed up somewhere once you have edited it.

OpulentDesigner

Post by OpulentDesigner » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:56 pm

Thank you for the responses. I will attempt these tips and tricks. Could I have access to the red carpet in order to access more materials?

Thanks,
Ken

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:16 am

Assuming you have a pro license, you can upgrade your forum account by going here: https://www.twilightrender.com/index.ph ... e-forum-v2

You'll need your Pro Product Code (received when you purchased your license) and your forum username.