first attempt at exterior

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
lower878787

first attempt at exterior

Post by lower878787 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:12 pm

I'm trying to learn to use Twighlight..if anyone could pitch any ideas to clean this render up that would be great
Attachments
66.jpg
66.jpg (512.59 KiB) Viewed 9019 times

Mike1158
SketchUp: V19

Re: first attempt at exterior

Post by Mike1158 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:17 am

What hdri are you using? You need a higher definition type whatever hdri. More scene setting and some bump to start things off.

posodrac
SketchUp: SU 17 Make

Post by posodrac » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:32 pm

:welcome: In a first glance it needs some exterior lighting to pump up the properties of materials you using. They look flat to me. There are some light componentes ready to use shared in this forum, at Resources, you can use. Can't tell if the background is a HDR image or how you lighted the scene. The light look too difuse, almost can't find shadows.

jxmoss
SketchUp: 2017

Post by jxmoss » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:26 am

Personally, I like the look you are going for but the background texture might be the darkening issue you are having with the rest of the rendering. Also, some of your textures seem a little large for the faces that you put them on. I know that there is a great free texture site but, currently do not remember the website title. If I remember, I will post the link. Keep up the good work! Do you work on the free or paid version?

I know how difficult it is to try and get pristine imagines through the hobby version of Twilight Render and would love to start a conversation about it. The hobby version is amazing but can't wait to purchase the full version. Please let me know if there is going to be, at least, a CPU/GPU render option. I run a great CPU, but would love to have the option to be able to run both my CPU and GPU to save some time on renderings/ use other programs that I might want to run at the same time. Sorry for the long thought. I love the Twilight Render Software but, please let me know of anything I could do to help further this application.

Thanks for listening,

- Jx Moss

nickario
SketchUp: 2018

Post by nickario » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:03 am

Some Photoshop Touch! (exposure) ;)
Attachments
66.jpg
66.jpg (749.18 KiB) Viewed 8973 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:14 pm

Keep up the good work!

We can see the image is not as bad as you may think, as Nickario pointed out, the Exposure/Tone Mapping of an image is extremely important!

In my experience the correct Tone Mapping and good post-processing can make or break your image, and correct tone mapping can also save a less-than-exciting rendering.

The order of priority that you need to get right for great renderings is as follows:

Good model (includes vegetation) (make sure ground and walls and roof have thickness, and are built without cracks where light can creep in)
High quality textures/materials
Good lighting (includes sun/sky settings)
Good camera angle (your camera is cutting off part of the building, not advisable.)
Correct Render setting (I would try test images for this scene on Easy 02 or 03, and final setting of Easy04+ or for best results using Easy 09 for my final rendering. If you use Easy High or High+ disable caustics in the render settings)
Correct Tone mapping (you must increase exposure, play with Tone Map settings in the Render Dialog, search on our forum)
Great Post-processing (aka post-pro) for finishing, adding the polished touches to the image

lower878787

Post by lower878787 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:45 pm

appreciate all the tips everyone