Interior render - need feedback :)

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
charliecoster
SketchUp: SketchUp pro 2018

Interior render - need feedback :)

Post by charliecoster » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:58 am

Hi everyone!

so, i'd thought i could post my work for the first time to get some external feedback. i am self taught and have only been playing around with rendering for a short time so don't be 2 harsh. :D
either way, I have been working on this interior scene the last couple of days and i'm starting to lose objectivity. if you guys could give me some feedback and tips on how to make it look better it would be awesome!
ps. i know the blanket on the soffa is floating.. will fix this before rendering again.

Also wonder if learning Post-processing is necessary or can you get good enough result straight from twilight?

Thanks!
MEDVIK 1.42 FÄRDIG RENDERING.jpg
MEDVIK 1.42 FÄRDIG RENDERING.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 7344 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Interior render - need feedback :)

Post by Fletch » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:57 am

Lighting and nearly everything are looking great. :^: Welcome Charlie :welcome:

This is a personal taste/decision and completely up to you, and the design intent. I find that in renderings shinier reflections can add more visual appeal/interest. I would, personally, add shininess to the floor and chair and table wood materials to make their reflections sharper.

The black metal or whatever material is on the table lamp, legs of the chairs, and the plant stand to the right are too dark black and have no reflection, so they do not look realistic.
You may try the N-K Library metals materials, the Chrome or other metals, they will look great.
For the Lamp, if you want a dark metallic paint you can start with the Paint>Shiny Twilight Render Material Template, and increase the IOR to be 2.2 up to 5 to look more like a painted metal finish.

Avoid any fully black or white color, they do not exist in real life. Set blacks to something like 18% at their darkest and whites something like 92% at their lightest.

Various wood table finishes:

For the Wood Floor test the Templates>Advanced Reflection>Wood Mapped material template in Twilight Render.

Flat-looking wood floor finish not visually interesting in photo:
A little reflection adding some interest:
A nice balance of reflections and specular "fuzzy" reflections:

Mike1158
SketchUp: V19

Post by Mike1158 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Agreed, Charlie, I like that a lot. You have a great starting point there. :clap: :clap:

posodrac
SketchUp: SU 17 Make

Post by posodrac » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:41 pm

A very good start :welcome:
Fletch said it all... I could add, you too choose, a more leafy 3D plant, take the couch a bit from the wall, a diferent material for windows frames (keeping the white). After, you could add while editing, some glow to windows and light bulbs.
PS. You're too young, so you have a lot a time to learn every fields. ;)

jamesmickel41

Post by jamesmickel41 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:09 am

:gj:
Last edited by jamesmickel41 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

RTD Laboratories
SketchUp: Make 2017

Post by RTD Laboratories » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:23 am

Well this forum is called "Work in progress" after all, so isn't the intent to post your work here before you finish it? I agree with what jamesmickel41 said, getting feedback as you're working on your scene is important, idk why more people don't share their work progression here :!
Andrew F