A little something I've been working on...

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
SpookyChick
SketchUp: SU 2017

A little something I've been working on...

Post by SpookyChick » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:51 pm

...While waiting for IT to put my website back together after a certain low-rent hosting service wrecked it.
Katana Flight at Sunset 2 Simple With DoF at 8 Small.jpg
Katana Flight at Sunset 2 Simple With DoF at 8 Small.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 9738 times
Background from HDRIHaven. The model is one I've been working on fro about six weeks, and gone through three (abandoned) iterations of before this one. Rendered the image at six thousand pixels wide, for about 700 passes on setting 8, to send of for printing at 50.8cm x 76.2cm. Total render time, less than four hours. SImple tone mapping in Twilight, and bokeh, contrails, and engine flames added in GIMP as part of post pro. THe first render I've done this year which I've been completely happy with.

This next one I am sending out for printing today, at 40.6 x 50.8 cm.
Chasing the Singularity Poster PostPro Small.jpg
Chasing the Singularity Poster PostPro Small.jpg (982.74 KiB) Viewed 9738 times
Of course I'm posting the 1920 pixel versions, since there's no way the boards going to accomodate the 6000 pixel edition.No HDRI, so the render actually took 78 hours, at 6000 pixels. It would have been done quicker, but I have yet to purchase the denoising plugin. II'l get to that when I'm done with website reconstruction, migrating to ArtStation, and so forth.

Advice? Pick your hosting company carefully, and don't go with the cheap, low-end option. I tried to save money, and am ultimately spending way more.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy the images.

Ja ne!

Mike1158
SketchUp: V19

Re: A little something I've been working on...

Post by Mike1158 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:26 am

Nice renders, the Katana flight particularly so. Perhaps move the second element so the lower a/c is not lost in the background. :^: :rspkt: :hat:

Good luck with the site.

SpookyChick

Post by SpookyChick » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:08 pm

Thanks Mike!

Yeah, I tried rendering it that way originally, but completely lost all the marker lights, contrails, and so forth when they were on the lighter background of the sky. I do see what you mean about the lower aircraft of the distant pair being hard to see.

Perhaps I should have moved it slightly further downward so both aircraft were on the dark background. It seems like the contrast, and having that element sitting on the boundary between mountain ansd sky is the source of that problem. Oh well, not much to be done about it now, the print's already been sent for. :roll:

Having the second element off in the distance as background was an artistic decision made to help give a better sense of three dimensionality to the scene.

All things considered, thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated, as feedback is something artists can't really grow without. We certainly don't need fertiliser, we get enough of that from life as it is :lol:

Ja ne!

tuna57
SketchUp: SU 2015Pro SU2018Pro

Post by tuna57 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:56 pm

Cool stuff ! :gj: :clap:
TwilightPro V2.11

SpookyChick

Post by SpookyChick » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:16 pm

Thanks, Tuna! When I got done with Post Pro on the Katana Flight image, I found the warm color palette causing me to think, "Well, Tuna will probably like this one!" :lol:

Ja ne!

rangerrick
SketchUp: 15

Post by rangerrick » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:42 am

Very cool 1st image, I can hear the thunderous roar as they pass by. :gj:

posodrac
SketchUp: SU 17 Make

Post by posodrac » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:08 am

:gj: :clap:

RTD Laboratories
SketchUp: Make 2017

Post by RTD Laboratories » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:36 am

Looks good! :^:
Andrew F

SpookyChick

Post by SpookyChick » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:39 pm

Thank you, everyone for the kind words! I hope you're all having a good day, whatever part of the world you're living in.

:rspkt:

@ Rick; Yes! That was what I was hoping to evoke! Force knows I hear that sound often enough. I live under one of teh approach paths for a USAF base in the SouthWest, and get to hear the sweet sound of Dollars being turned into jet exhaust at all hours of the day and night. I'd love it even more if it weren't tax dollars... :lol:

I'll be posting more images soon. For one thing, I promised Tuna my own Illuminated Dodecahedron render, so I'll be getting that put up soon. Look for something entitled: The Wrong Artifact...

Ja ne!