Stylized City Scape-Water Front

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
jxmoss
SketchUp: 2017

Re: Stylized City Scape-Water Front

Post by jxmoss » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:09 am

@rangerrick, I like where you are taking this. Could you try blacking out or at least shading them more so you do not see the horizon line as harshly? Having the water texture and the blue night sky should tighten your image. The dusk like yellow/orange lighting forces my eyes to only concentrate on how the light is seeping through the buildings. I will say that I do like the layout of the second render so try that effect on that set up and let me know your opinion. So far though, I give you a: :^:

rangerrick
SketchUp: 15

Post by rangerrick » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Thanks Posodrac, I have attached the image you like in a higher resolution if you care to have it on your desktop.
Unfortunately I didn't render this long so it is of lower quality and I have since tweaked the material settings
without writing down the parameters I used and for the life of me I can't reproduce the same result...but trying. :doh:

jxmoss, thank-you for your input, always appreciate advice from the fresh eyes of others as ones artistic vision
sometimes gets trapped into a style that is just not working. I have taken your suggestion and re-rendered the first
image increasing the opacity of the building material so as to block out the horizon.

Artist Elizabeth Lane once said: "Refusing to listen to suggestions or helpful advice is a brick wall some artists will set
up for themselves. They believe that by announcing to the world 'that's my style', they can dodge the bullet. The excuse
takes away from their ability to learn how to improve their art."
Attachments
Edge_Lighting_CityScape_02.jpg
Edge_Lighting_CityScape_02.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 7564 times
Edge_Lighting_CityScape_03.jpg
Edge_Lighting_CityScape_03.jpg (1016.87 KiB) Viewed 7564 times

posodrac
SketchUp: SU 17 Make

Post by posodrac » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Thanks Posodrac, I have attached the image you like in a higher resolution if you care to have it on your desktop.
Unfortunately I didn't render this long so it is of lower quality and I have since tweaked the material settings
without writing down the parameters I used and for the life of me I can't reproduce the same result...but trying. :doh:
I have the same problem :lol:
20190810_235125.jpg
20190810_235125.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 7545 times
Thank you

Mike1158
SketchUp: V19

Post by Mike1158 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:08 am

I used Irfanview to resample it and it came out OK. :D