Good day everyone.

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
DonNewtype13

Good day everyone.

Post by DonNewtype13 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:58 am

Good day everyone. I joined the forums to get help and advice on how to use Twilight Render. I use Sketchup but realize that I need to up my game, so to speak, and learn how to render some of the models that I've created. Most of my work is hobby and sci-fi creations and being a Star Wars fan, I had to create the Y-Wing

and the X-Wing

Now I've created a grav-tank from the Traveler RPG and created my first test render

How can I go about rendering a object in space? Where the light is all around? I've modeled the Space Station from 2001 and have rendered a test image

But how do I create the black of space for the background? And then add lighting with in the hanger bay?

Thanks in advance, Don

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Good day everyone.

Post by Fletch » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:16 pm

Hi Don :welcome:

Those look like impressive models!

Look with your favorite search engine for "equirectangular space image" .jpg is fine, doesn't need to be hdr

Put that as Spherical Sky image in the Environment Dialog for Twilight.

Adding lights - easiest will be to paint any surface you want with any material color - and apply the "light emitter" Twilight Material Template. You may have to boost the light power quite high to see them, feel free to experiment.

Most importantly - please watch the "6 Essentials" video tutorials - linked in my signature. After you follow those, you will be an expert with Twilight in no time. :)

slotly

Post by slotly » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:39 pm

Try with this:

https://cubebrush.co/era7/products/umh8 ... ce-hdri-ii
env.PNG
env.PNG (201.23 KiB) Viewed 6111 times

posodrac
SketchUp: SU 17 Make

Post by posodrac » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:19 pm

Hi, really nice models. As you surely notice sci-fi or fantasy movies alway use darker shots to hide any flaws or realism of CG models or makeup (except for "A New Hope", where they used real physical, smaller models). But the base line is that in fact, there's no strong lights between solar systems and space is huge between them, screenwriters or characters -as you like- always go for warp drive or wormholes. So all that matter to you light the scene is to render inside a solar system where a big strong pointlight as sharp as possible is enough to mimic the nearest star. Or use Fletch explained method for a background source light star - even with a texture -. I don't know the diference that makes for you the use of HRDi or single back image for backgrounds. HRDi can be a good choice only for models having very reflective surfaces. All space colorful images you'll find are artistic based on very, tiny, small, portions of sky taken like... Hubble telescope, passing through a lot of filters and spectrums, giving us a fake view of colorful dust and stars clusters.
Here is my mistake: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10197&p=46261&hili ... rac#p46261
Embebed lights in a model not also enhance warped or bumped textures, like give a good depth of the model.